CoinPeople.com

The European "Star" series 2006

tabbs

What a difference a star makes ... the euro-star symbol on some collector coins, that is.

stern.jpg

In 2004 some European mints started a program with a common theme that each of the participating coutries would "contribute" a coin to. That year's theme was the enlargement of the European Union, then (in 2005) it was "Peace and Freedom", primarily referring to the 60th anniversary of the end of WW2.

This year's (2006) theme is a little broader: "Great Europeans". Also, for the first time some non-euro countries will take part. Here is a list of the participating mints, and of the pieces to come:

Austria: Wolfgang A. Mozart (born 250 years ago)

Belgium: Justus Lipsius (died 400 years ago)

Czechia: Jaroslav Jezek (born 100 years ago)

Finland: Johan V. Snellman (born 200 years ago)

France: Robert Schuman (born 120 years ago) and Europe Day (9 May)

Hungary: Béla Bartók (born 125 years ago)

Ireland: Samuel Beckett (born 100 years ago)

Italy: Leonardo da Vinci

Luxembourg: Robert Schuman (born 120 years ago) (?)

Malta: Sir Temistokle Zammit

Netherlands: Rembrandt van Rijn (born 400 years ago)

Portugal: Dom Henrique o Navegador (Henry the Navigator)

Slovakia: Karol Kuzmány (born 200 years ago)

Spain: King Carlos I (Emperor Carlos V)

As you see, the list of people to be depicted is not "final" yet. The question mark indicates a rumor. :ninja:

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I cannot wait to get my Mozart coin :ninja:

Was that a subtle hint? :lol: The German piece will come your way once I have those 16 circulation pieces in unc or almost unc, hehe. But it is not part of the "euro/star" series; Germany does not participate in that program. And the Austrians have just issued the gold Mozart coin; their silver piece will be out later this year.

As for the euro/star thing, well, to some extent it is just a marketing "gag". But beyond that, I like the idea of coins from various countries being issued on one occasion or theme.

One "warning" for those of you who are thinking about collecting euros: The circulation pieces are not that expensive (unless you want the euro coins from the three non-EU countries too). And the collector coins are just that, a continuation of the previous collector coin programs in the pre-euro currencies. Also, a Belgian or Irish €10 coin will probably cost more than 30 euro even if bought directly from the mint. A Dutch or German one can be purchased at face value, but all those silver and gold coins are legal tender in the issuing member state only. Not really a problem though since hardly anybody uses them in everyday life ...

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Added info about the French part of the program. Europe Day is on 9 May every year (see http://europa.eu.int/abc/symbols/index_en.htm ). Robert Schuman was born 120 years ago and is considered to be one of the "founding fathers" of the European Union; he should not be confused with Robert Schumann, the composer who died 150 years ago.

Christian

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Maybe the design on the Irish will "grow" on me, but right now I don't particularly care for it.

If you don't like that design much, here is another one in the "umm, err" category. :ninja: The Portuguese contribution, an €8 coin featuring Dom Henrique o Navegador or Henry the Navigator:

pt2006henri-unc_jpg.jpg

(Image from http://www.muntplaats.nl/)

Christian

Archived