CoinPeople.com

GOETZ: 1932 Gustav II Adolph

K-473 GUSTAV II ADOLF, King of Sweden. Commemorative medal 1932, Struck Silver, 60mm, VZ, R in this size.

Obverse: Bust ¾ right with name and position in text along edge. Birth and Death dates in field.

Reverse: All Seeing Eye in clouds and scepter and orb below. Inscription reads “A good thing will not lose, on God alone I set my hope.” Date of 1932.

To commemorate the 300th year of his death, 1632-1932,

Also made in 125mm cast bronze, 36mm struck silver, and 22.5mm struck gold pieces. There is also a very rare Dutch version in a 36mm silver strike.

K%20473.jpg

Beautiful medal !!! Were all of his silver medals struck and all bronzes cast?

Beautiful medal !!! Were all of his silver medals struck and all bronzes cast?

No, There are struck Bronze and cast silver also. As a matter of fact, I have a large 75mm cast silver medal on its way to me right now. Silver pieces larger than 60mm, either struck OR cast, are very, very rare and were usually made for the commissioning family or royalty. The Ludwig piece soon to arrive was probably given to the royal family and probably had only 3 or 4 pieces made.

I would love to see this in gold. The silver is stunning, the gold must be amazing.

My experience with the 22.5mm gold medals ( I have three or four in my collection) is that they lose a lot of their impact due to their small size...I mean, we're talking about the size of a dime here. Of course there are larger gold medals that were made, just not in this design. :ninja:

Archived