CoinPeople.com

GOETZ: Medal Casting Ability

K-186 EMPEROR FRANZ-JOSEPH I OF AUSTRIA AND KING OF HUNGARY ( Kaiser Franz-Joseph’s Tod). 1916, Cast AE, 79.8mm, 162.8gm, Incuse punch at 6:00, Gussfrisch (as cast).

To commemorate his death on November 21,1916

Reverse, Mourning double eagle, crucifix on orb, 21 NOV. 1916.

Displayed to, again, show the casting abilities of Goetz. The obverse, with bust of Franz Joseph left, is just as nice but I can't seem to get a good image today...so, here is the reverse at least.

Rev800Black.jpg

Truly stunning.

Is the patination natural and time related or was it artificially applied at maunfacture?

Regardless, the effects are amazing and complement the medal (IMHO) but I just wondered if it was natural or by design?

The patination was hand applied by Goetz himself. The recipes were a closely guarded business secret of Goetz' and this is a good example of his "patented" patination signature. Yes, he had a number of other colors that were used but I imagine it was difficult during war years to get any semblance of consistency otherwise this one would have been used across the board. This chocolate brown with caramel highlights is seen on the finest of his pieces

Even his son, Guido, couldn't get the same recipes mixed up after his fathers death. When Guido recast many of the medals in the 80's his shoddy mixture and application techniques make the recasts pretty obvious.

Archived