CoinPeople.com

GOETZ: I Lead You, 1919

K-238 I LEAD YOU (Ich führe Euch herrlichen Zeiten entgegen), 1919, Cast AE, 58.7mm, Wt.62.7g, UNC.

Kaiser Satirical

Obverse: The Kaiser, Wilhelm II, with drawn sabre rides his hobby horse while leading his army. Inscription : Ich führe Euch, (I Lead You) - 1914”

Reverse: A one-legged war veteran leans on a crutch and turns an organ grinder; his wife and poorly clothed and starving children stand beside him. Inscription: Is a continuation of the obverse inscription and reads, Herrlichen Zeiten Entgegen (-towards glorious times) -1919.

K%20238.jpg

Another gorgeous Goetz medal :ninja:

The Kaiser on the hobby horse is hilarious, although I'm sure the Kaiser didn't appreciate the humor.

He had been kicked out of the country by the time this was made. There are about 10 anti-Kaiser medals he made. Here is another...

K-277 KING OF CARDS (Kartenkönig), 1921, Cast Bronze, 59.8mm,VZ

Pun on the exiled former Kaiser’s tax declaration and his actual net worth.

[Obverse[/b]“Pretense” is the inscription at the top of the obverse. Inscription on the door “Netherland Tax office”. Inscription on sign to the lower right “A poor man I am, please.” Words escaping his mouth “I only have 1-1/2 million guilders.” 1921.

Reverse: depicts the continuation of the obverse’s “Pretense” by saying “and Actuality.” Kaiser depicted as the King of Hearts with the figure “160 million in gold” displayed prominently in the center of the double figure.

K%20277.jpg

Oh, that one is just great, too :ninja:

The first one is kind of funny. I love Goetz work. Before you started posting pictures I never knew these existed. Awesome stuff.

There's plenty where that came from. Goetz's satirical medals range from Opus 131 to Opus 306 and cover the years 1913 to 1923.

Archived