CoinPeople.com

2000 Finn €0.10

Sir Sisu

Here is a coin I found from circulation about a week ago. (I found 2 in my wallet the same day.) The obverse seems to have minor die cracks at 2, 5, and 7 oclock: sort line with a small blob of metal. Also the "0" in the date is full of extra metal, as is above the mint master's initial "M". The die crack leading from the star is best visible on the 7 oclock pic. There is also an "extra" ring of metal just inside the rim.

7oclock_M_zero.JPG

The reverse also has this extra ring, although it is not complete all around the coin. Also next to the "0" in the denomination there is some extra metal as well.

cud_zero.JPG

that's a cool looking one....the little blob is called a retained cud...that's where part of the die chips off and allows those little blobs to fill the space instead of being flat....the extra ring around the edge is due to die fatigue....this is a deposit of metal that has moved towards the edge of the die from the excessive useage....this die was prob not used much longer after this coin was struck

Dutchman not trying to be a person that diagrees with you (really I'm not). But a retained cud is a portion of the die that has broken off, but has yet to fall away from the die. is a cud would be a portion od the die that has broken off completely. Currently most of what I see on this particular coin is die cracks/breaks. In essence those "could" technically be cuds. But to have a retained cud, you still have to have that portion of the die. I can not find that italian piece that I know that I have. It is of a shattered die, and I could show what is meant by a retained cud.

Again Dutchman, PLEASE don't think that I am trying to dicagree with you constatly. :ninja:

Chuck

Thanks for the comments and details folks! :ninja:

Great finds.

I am finding more die damage errors with the new euros than the last circulating markkaa series. Especially with the €1 (occasionally €2) Finn coins. I have found a few different years already where the date on the die must have broke. The date is incused on the coin and I am often finding incused dates with excess metal in them.

Archived