CoinPeople.com

Late Roman Empire

syzygy

Here are a couple of coins that I had been meaning to post - nothing real special or rare, but I think they are nice...all are from around AD 310-330 (must have been an interesting time to be alive).

904774.jpg

Constantine II OBV: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate draped bust REV: CAESARVM NOSTRORVM, laurel wreath around VOT X

904775.jpg

Licinius I Follis OBV: IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG - laureate head right. REV: IOVI CONSERVATORI - Jupiter holding sceptor and Victory

904772.jpg

Constantinopolis City Commemorative OBV: CONSTANTINOPOLIS REV:Victory standing left with septor and shield. Siscia mint.

904776.jpg

Licinius I follis OBV: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, laureat head right REV: IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG, Jupiter holding Victory on globe and scepter ex: SMHT

Nice coins from a very interesting time period. The beginning of Christianity as a religion of the powerful.

I have never really been a fan of Romans, but lately some are starting to grow on me, in particular your Constantinopolis City Commemorative with the Victory is a desirous piece. I am also on the prowl for a very nice URBS ROMA commemorative, a nice example from Arles etc.

That Licinius coin (coin number 2), i have one of those (i think it's the same), i'm now using it as a pocket piece. It's unlikely that i'm going to venture that far into the Empire's history with my own collection. I tend to grind to a halt after Severus Alexander. Gets way too confusing after that, ah 238 CE...

• 1 month later...

...and a few more from my modest collection..finally got around to photographing these (I *still* am amazed that someone was using them 1700 years ago!).

Maximianus AD 286-305 Obv: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, radiate bust right. Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Jupiter presenting Victory on a globe to Max.

906826.jpg

Probus AD 278. Obv: IMP C PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust right. Rev: RESTITVS ORBIS, Female presenting wreath to Probus holding globe and sceptre.

906827.jpg

Constantine II AD 324-361. Obv:CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate bust left. Rev: PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, Campgate with two turrets.

906828.jpg

Constantine II AD324-361. Obv: FLIVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C, laureate bust left. Rev: PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, Campgate with two turrets and star above.

906829.jpg

Aurelian AD 270-275. Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate bust right. Rev:IOVI CONSER, Jupiter presents globe to Aurelian.

906830.jpg

geez, Aurelian does not look like someone to mess with :ninja:

Aurelian AD 270-275. Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate bust right. Rev:IOVI CONSER, Jupiter presents globe to Aurelian.

906830.jpg

geez, Aurelian does not look like someone to mess with ;)

That's probably the funniest portrait I've seen of him! :ninja:

Archived