CoinPeople.com

What its worth vs Fair selling price

Dads Stuff

My siblings asked that in liquidating Dads coins knowing that we would probably not get the value stated in the Red Book what percentage of that value should we ask/accept? I don't have the answer. Does anyone here have an opinion?

Thanks

Linda

Hm. Generally speaking, you shouldn't look forward to 100% of the catalogue value. I would look at around 80%+- or so, or dealers could be looking at slightly less but never less than 50% unless the buyers are looking several grades lower. But honestly you will never know. You can try selling some here as there might be people who might want some pretty rare coins that exists in your dad's collection. Afterall, you are doing a favor to them :ninja: It can be possible that you can get higher than catalogue value... but I don't know how US catalogues go...

They keypoint is always to get the gradings right. That is the most crucial stage out of the whole process. I cannot help to emphasis this but this seriously depends on the pricing. As you can see in the catalogue, prices can vary quite a fair bit depending on the grades.

Good luck!

It used to be that redbook prices were all overstated, but that's not so true anymore. On better dates, or virtually anything that is selling well, Red Book prices could be a real discount. I just noted looking at Saint prices in the 2006 volume, many were well below current auction prices!

50% of Red book on common stuff. The better the grade, lower the mintage the higher % you get. You might get 100% or more if the dealer has a buyer waiting. IMO

That's been my experience selling as well. Common stuff ~50% of redbook. Key dates and higher grade coins generally bring 80-100+% of redbook.

Listing in an auction is a pain and you have to pay a LOT of fees (listing fee, final sales fee, and then surcharge fee if you accept payment via paypal or some other company).... it adds up. The benefit of an auction is that there is always the possibility of bidders "going at it" and running your coins final sale price well above 100% of it's actual worth or what you'd get from a dealer.

Your 1904 that you've listed would be a prime candidate,,, the pic looks very nice,,, maybe 63 ($45),,, probably 64 ($60),,, could be 65 ($165)..... speculatively ms66+ ($cha-ching)...... probably worth getting an expert opinion, but if you'd rather not spend the time and $ getting each coin appraised then letting the masses try to figure it out via a nice picture within an auction may be the way to go. On the other hand, if your relatively confident of the grade and know what you want for the coin, then listing it here is absolutely the way to go,,, no fees and honest folks.

Archived