CoinPeople.com

Dipping in acetone

Bangbang

Does anyone do this. I was thinking about doing this with some "worthless" coins just to see what happens.

I was thinking about doing this too.... Where do you get acetone?

Local hardware stores like Home Depot, etc. The one near me only carries it in the gallon size. I'm looking for a more practical size (haven't check Lowe's yet).

Acetone is just an organic solvent. It will remove any oils or grease from the surface of the coins but other than that it won't do anything "wonderful" to the coin. It won't affect toning or tarnish. Some people say it can change the color of copper but I have never had any bad reactions except on coins with some forms of artificial coloring.

Caution: While you can use acetone on almost all metals, stay away from zinc and copper. They give some kind of odd reactions. Perhaps alunimum too but I am not too sure. But for nickel and other hard metals, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thats interesting because aluminum pwder is used in explosives. Works great for making an M-80........I am talking about the real thing not that crap they sell at fireworks shops. Aluminum powder is also very toxic. So maybe I can figure out away to drop an aluminum coin into some acetone by remote control to see what happens. :ninja:;)

Archived