CoinPeople.com

U.S. & World coin collecting

Dan769

What is your preference? Lightside or Darkside?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference? Lightside or Darkside?

• Collect United States coins only
    • Collect World coins only
    • Collect both U.S. & World coins equally
    • Collect U.S., dabble into World coins
    • Collect World coins, dabble into U.S. coins

Not really sure of the answer. I live and work in areas where the people are from everywhere on Earth. I've let many know I collect coins. Many will give me coins from thier countries. Usually I have no idea what they are, where there from, what the writting on them means but I keep them. I put them in 2x2's mostly and sort them basically by what the writting on them seams to be the same as a few others. Numerous other foreign coins go into a plastic holder and dumped into ta large box. I have virtually thousands of such coins and really have no idea of what most are. Really strange how some are half the size of our dime and some are bigger than our old silver dollars.

I collect US only, any world coins I run into I give to my wife for her collection; all she has is foreign coins that I gave her and her collection is getting quite large, two prize coins she has are:

1) a rectangular silver bar about 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch impressed with oriental characters (don't know which but could be chinese, mongolian..??) I got it in Korea in 1964 for about a dollar.

2) 2 AU, 1926 French Indo-China 20 centime pieces. My squad found a whole canister of these in a long abandoned hooch in Quang-Tri province, we split them up and each man wound up with 2. got those in 1968, haven't looked at them since.

I want to specialize in Dollar coins from the US but won't pass up anything that appeals or is a bargain.

basicbob

World, specifically 1789-1815. My one US coin is an 1804 1/2 cent collected just to "have" one. Any other US coins are those I win at the monthly coin club meeting. :ninja:

• 1 year later...

Archived