CoinPeople.com

Ancient Question

Ætheling

Which interests you more?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which interests you more?

• Ancient Greece
    • Rome (Republic or Empire)

When anyone says Ancient Civilisations there are about half a dozen or so that automatically spring to mind; Egypt, Persia, Olmec, Byzantium etc. But in the coin world the two most promenant are perhaps ancient Greece and ancient Rome. Of course there are many areas in the Middle East that are intriguing but we'll leave these out of the equation for now.

The other examples aside therefore, which of the two Greece or Rome appeals to you the most? This can be on any number of levels from a numismatic level, be it aesthetics or historical significance of the coinage, to a cultural level. The art, sculpture, architecture, religion, technology, philosophy and history might intrigue just as much if not more than the actual coins themselves.

So which do you find the most intriguing and why?

The Roman Empire for me.

I was always much more drawn to Rome than Greece, generally because i feel as if i can identify with the Romans better than with the Greeks. Doesn't mean i don't like Greek history, i have read most of the Iliad (Book Two was hard going but you know a list of ships is never vastly entertaining).

Generally though i find i can think of myself as a Roman, being that the Romans ruled Britain for a few centuries, so i'm most likely of Roman decent, along with some Viking, a bit of Saxon, a hint of Welsh (and thus of Celt decent), so you know. But i can't think of myself as Greek.

The other thing that draws me to Rome more than Greece is definately the history, Imperial Rome much more so, since it's more interesting (insert blood thirsty), if there's lots of massacres, despot/nutcase rulers, barbaric torture methods, the words Empire, conquest and monarchy then as you can guess i'm all there. Makes for vivid reading.

Yet despite all the disasterous emperors, Rome survived, thrived and the Roman system worked. The technology was far superior to anything that followed right upto the 18th century. It gives some idea of how much of an achievement the Empire really was. They were even hygenic.

Yet despite all the disasterous emperors, Rome survived, thrived and the Roman system worked. The technology was far superior to anything that followed right upto the 18th century. It gives some idea of how much of an achievement the Empire really was. They were even hygenic.

That's what draws me to the Roman Empire as well. Imagine if their leaders were not insane or so dumb. The Empire could very well have lasted another 1000+ years.

I like coins for two main reasons, the story they tell and the aesthetics of the design. I cna find almost all coins interesting in the fomer case and in the latter case Greek coins easily best Roman ones in my opinion. So overall I'll have to go with Greek.

While the battles and wars tend to dominate history books for many reasons I also like to ficus on positive developments in mankind's history. In science and art I find the Greeks much more influential than the derivative Romans. There are some good Roman philosophers but not enough to necessarily overcome the Greeks in quality.

Greece in the United States 1789-1913. The Roman Empire the US from 1946-present. :ninja:

In science and art I find the Greeks much more influential than the derivative Romans.  There are some good Roman philosophers but not enough to necessarily overcome the Greeks in quality.

The Romans borrowed alot from the Greeks it has to be said, especially building styles. Although it has to be noted public baths, roads, aqueducts, central heating, saunas, draining swamps to stop the problem of malaria really puts the Romans a tad ahead i find. I love the practicality of it all.

Greece on the other hand certainly produced a better class of philosophers and great thinkers. Plato, Socrates, Hippocrates etc.

Plus of course Athenian Democracy, aka radical democracy.

I loved the analogy about the US being Greece and then Rome. I read somewhere that the US system was influenced by the Roman Republic (senators etc.), although the eighteenth and early 19th century US owed much more to the Enlightenment (which itself was based upon Classicalism to a degree). The early US does seem to have shifted from the Republic setup to the Empire setup. Perhaps life ain't as nasty as it used to be with emperors just killing people left right and centre for their own amusement. But the US definately has Imperialistic leanings these days.

I loved the analogy about the US being Greece and then Rome. I read somewhere that the US system was influenced by the Roman Republic (senators etc.), although the eighteenth and early 19th century US owed much more to the Enlightenment (which itself was based upon Classicalism to a degree). The early US does seem to have shifted from the Republic setup to the Empire setup. Perhaps life ain't as nasty as it used to be with emperors just killing people left right and centre for their own amusement. But the US definately has Imperialistic leanings these days.

To me one of the similarities is the continuing emphasis and glorification of entertainment and diversion. But really we all have very limited views of what life was like back then and we'd probably be shocked if we ever had a chance to time travel. In retrospect it;s easy to draw parallels (and fun too

:ninja: )

I have always been something of a hellenist, though Pax Romana and other aspects of the Republic are always compelling. My father claimed that we were "Italian" but he was a social climber. That side of the family is from Sicily, western Siciily at that. We have strong Catheginian roots, I am afraid to say. However, Isocrates said that the name "Hellene" applies to a state of mind, not merely to a race.

It is a tough choice, Greece versus Rome. Rome has so many good qualities -- though not the ones most people think of. Adaptation of new influences was one. The virtues of Gravitas, Civitas, and Pietas are others.

The Romans would have understood "...land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride..." In fact, we Americans borrowed that idea from them. The Greeks were more rational. When faced with insurmountable odds, they cut and run, which is the rational thing to do. However, the loins of Italy produce armies. There was the time when the Romans were in south Italy facing some Greeks and Cartheginians and the political situation was fluid. However, the Roman legates were firm in conveying the orders of the Senate to the city they had surrounded. "But things have changed now," the city said. "Can't you just change your minds?" The Roman legate replied, "Do you think we are Greeks that we can change our minds? We voted on this. There it stands."

Ultimately, I am a Greek as Isocrates meant it, but I recognize that for all their faults, the Romans were not half bad. So, I collected Greek coins from the towns and times of philosophers, but only a few interesting Roman coins from the Five Good Emperors and Cato the Younger.

I preferred Ancient Greeks long before I delved into collecting them. I like the flow of the designs, and the largely non-political nature of them. The depth of the design is much deeper.

There are more animals, flowers, dolphins etc depicted on Greeks.

The only Romans I kind of like are the URBS ROMA commemoratives. I like the Romulus and Remus with the She-Wolf on the reverse.

If you change the millenium, you can say the same about Germany.

I don't collect either although I have a few Roman coins.

For me, the history aspect is a tie and the beauty of design goes hands down to teh Greeks so Greek would win.

Archived