CoinPeople.com

Overstriked British Bank dollar?

gxseries

'Overstruck' coins began appearing in the 1780s and lasted until the early 1810s.

The first examples are basically counterstamped 8 reales or counterstamped 4 reales (they just have a mini-George III portrait stamped onto the obverse).

This was the quick fix method of providing silver coinage in a time of dire need.

In 1804 though the Bank of England went in for full restrikes and this to my knowledge is the only time a full restrike ever happened.

The counterstamping also happened in the reign of Elizabeth I when Edward VI debased coinage was counterstamped as part of a revaluation of denominations. (The counterstamps lowered the face value to aid a swift return to sterling silver currency).

This is what I saw in a coin store, which is a silver 1804 British bank dollar overstruck on a 8 reale if I am not mistaken. Sorry no pictures... I can't just afford to buy the coin as it was over a whooping 750USD :ninja: 

Was this done quite commonly in the past or that is just an exception?

Sounds rather overpriced.

The whole issue are a science ...and Spink just float over the subject.

A full description will be required.....Spink Quote"Dollars that show dates and Mint marks of original coins are worth rather more.

Whatever issue $750 doesn't seem OTT.

Even US $'s were countermarked and these are extremely rare.

Sounds rather overpriced.

I'm with you there. $750 is a bit OTT for a BofE 5/- unless in Unc or very close to it. However, prices have indeed been creeping up these past two years or so.

Apart from the proofs for this coin, as far as I know each and every circulation strike BofE 5/- was overstruck on a spanish colonial 8 reales piece. The norm is to see bits and pieces of the host coin design and legend. To get one that shows a clear original date AND mint mark is very unusual and does attract a few extra shekels.

Ian

• 2 months later...

1804 Bank Dollars quite often (if you can use this word with reference to this not so common coin) show some of the host coin legend.

This is also not the only coin which was struck over another coin. This was often the case with Russian copper in 18-19 centuries.

Archived