CoinPeople.com

Egotistical Banknote...

San_Miguel98

I found a 2000 Peso Banknote on sale for a killer price and I couldn't pass it up. The notes are huge, (8.5 x 5.2 inches), and were issued to mark the Philippine Centennial of independence from Spain (1898-1998).

The reverse is great, as it depicts a re-enactment of Gen. Aguinaldo's famous flag waving 100 years prior, but the one thing I hate about this note is the front. The front image shows the swearing in of then-president Joseph Estrada. Clearly, it has nothing to do with the centennial celebration and strikes me as overboard egotistical vanity. Oh well. I don't suppose he was impeached for being an all-around great guy.

original event:

PhilippinesP168r-5Piso-ND(1985-94)replacement-donatedrrg_b.jpg

re-enacted back:

Philippinesp189-2000Piso-1998-donatedsb_b.jpg

egotistical non-commemorative related front:

Philippinesp189-2000Piso-1998-donatedsb_f.jpg

I did not see the whole movie because I hate Eddie Murphy, but while channel surfing (back when we had TV), I stumbled on Coming to America. The girl is telling her Mom that she wants to marry the frog prince. Mom knows he is a frog. She does not know that he is a prince. "I won't be supporting him! He has his own money." Fine, fine. "No! Momma! Look! He has his own money."

America is a bit unusual -- Switzerland was always with us on this; and we are joined by the abstracted Europeans -- in not having the current ruler on the currency.

rulers on circulating currency is fine and nothing new, but taking up a whole side of a sheet-sized special denomination with a limited edition print with something totally unrelated is a bit stretching. if the occassion was his birthday it might be more appropriate....but not on something meant to celebrate 100 years of independence. this is sorta like george bush putting his daughter's graduation ceremony on the obverse of the marine corps commemorative.

rulers on circulating currency is fine and nothing new, but taking up a whole side of a sheet-sized special denomination with a limited edition print with something totally unrelated is a bit stretching. if the occassion was his birthday it might be more appropriate....but not on something meant to celebrate 100 years of independence. this is sorta like george bush putting his daughter's graduation ceremony on the obverse of the marine corps commemorative.

:ninja:

Archived