CoinPeople.com

j.o.p.s, chopmarks and counterstamps

thedollarman

Seeing as I am sure most of us are aware of what chopmarks, j.o.p. and conterstamps are.

Chopmarks-(especially if you collect 8 reales or trade dollars) and if you DONT they are like counter stamps accept done by the Chinese it is a bit hard to put in to words but it is associated with trade in China thus the name trade dollar any way search it up if you DONT know as it is a neat story.

Counterstamps- like chopmarks accept done by private parties such as businesses

(usually a name or initials or an image stamped on the coin.

J.O.P.- This is the initial of a canadian jeweler, he struck it on canadian silver dollars only. It is basically a counter stamp but with a hefty price tag. Also a good story to search up if you didn't know.

Now my question to you is do you think of these 3 things as damage or not

And if you have one please post it I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THE OPINION OF EVERYONE SO LETS START THIS THING:-)

I may have started this thread but I'll get the ball rolling.

It depends on the collector for example I collect canadian silver dollars so I will talk About J.O.P. dollars, I personally think it is damage to the coin and wonder how people could pay so much for them and how you can still have a coin with such a deep punch in to it and have it grade MS-64 when it is clearly damaged and then command a crazy premium for it when it is still post mint damage of an illegal nature. POST ON EVERY ONE.

I have to disagree with the definition of counterstamp and chopmark.

A counterstamp is usually done by an issuing authority to notify the changes to the original face value of the coin or is used to advertise a business, political message etc.

A chopmark is an activity by physically whacking stamps to test the precious metal content of the coin to ensure that the coin or bullion is not plated.

Here are some examples:

A standard 1 yen coin

973955.jpg

A counterstamped 1 yen "gin" on the right - done by Tokyo Mint

973952.jpg

A chopmark coin

1012107.jpg

A counterstamped (on the left - Osaka mint) and heavily chopmarked coin

973950.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

From my point of view as someone who does not collect pristine coins but prefers circulated coins with age and history shown on the coin

Warts and all is best to me but not too badly worn, I like to see the detail of a coins design

....Chop marks are a plus and Counterstamps are nice to have. Love tokens are Ok too.

To me they add an extra dimension to the coin but I fully understand someone who prefers UNC coins would consider it as damage or defacement.