CoinPeople.com

Some medals that I have been getting...

gxseries

Neat medals. It's good to have an alternate path in your collecting when the prices start getting unreasonable. I especially like the relief on that 1977 medal.

I find the one sided ones to be interesting. Must be some kind of die trials or possibly they were meant to be inserted in to something more elaborate.

The one with legend "V. I. Lenin" is not of Russian make. Must be German (DDR) or something like that.

above medal was awarded to 800 anniversary of Moscow city found, similar as to Kiev found 1500 years ago - were awarded at their working places as i said earlier to people of Moscow and Kiev

topic starter medals - one sided medals can be not pattern but just one sided i remember from the past and were sold as souvenier at many places in republic capitals like Moscow, Kiev, Kishinev, Minsk, etc IMXO

lasr medal topic starter is from 1912 - one hundred years from patriotic war I where Napoleon was biten by Russians and allians, cannot guarantee its authenticy from this pic but generally looks ok to me

• 2 weeks later...

The 60D on the 1917-1977 medal looks like GOD!!! I suspect he would not be amused. On second thoughts..........

Look really closely at the D--it's actually a stylized hammer and sickle.

Obviously the 60 is meant to mean 60 years. But the word for "year" in Russian is год, which translitered is... wait for it... "god" (but prononounced more like goad"). So you COULD really stretch matters and say the 60+hammer and sickle actually does mean "60 god!"

Alas, this word forms its plural irregularly, depending on specifically how many the plural might be. It's "год," (numbers ending in 1) "года" (numbers ending in 2-5) or "лет" (numbers ending in 6-0). So sometimes the "god" thing doesn't work. In fact 60 must be one of those cases where the plural is лет. Which ruins the joke. (Doggone it.)

Russians when giving the calendar year (e.g., 2013) will recite (or write) the number and likely as not add "года" to it (no matter what the last digit of the year is) because that's a different gramatical case of the word год, and in writing will abbreviate it "г." That even sometimes shows up on the date on coins, either abbreviated (as on Nicholas II rubles and gold) or not. In fact on the 1826 half ruble in my avatar, the date below the eagle reads "1826 ГОДА." "1826" by itself just wouldn't say it, for a Russian.

Steve did a good job there. Small correction - "год" (singular) is 1, "года" is 2-4, "лет" is 5-0. And in larger numbers it is not quite as described, but close, depending on the number.For example, 11 is "лет" (ends with 1), but 101 is "год" (also ends with 1)

Thank you, Igor. And as a thank you for the education, let me tell you about the American worker in Moscow who got pulled over by a policeman, who started to explain to the American what he had done wrong. The American (who must have had a few lessons in Russian, but not nearly enough) interrupted the stream of Russian to inform the cop "Я не понедельник! Я не понедельник!" which certainly proved the American's point.

Unfortunately I was too busy laughing at this part of the story to follow the rest of it and find out how the incident ended.

I don't know grammar. None! And I mean that about any language, not just Russian. But I believe that 'лет' can only be applied to age, so you can say "I am (мне) 11 лет",

but 'год' means literary 'year' so whether it's 2011, 1011, 111 or just 11 AD it will always be 'год'.

Not only age. "лет" can be also applied to the period in time, for example. "11-й год" , like in "11 AD", is the object itself, while "I'm 11 years old(мне 11 лет)" is the trait of particular object/person. Not starting linguistic discussion, let's just note that "лет" is just plural form genitive case of word "год".

Stuff like this is what makes coins and medals so fascinating.

It's a study that leads to (to mention just a few things) history, economics, metallurgy, minting technology, art, different cultures and languages - even grammar! There is always something new to learn.