CoinPeople.com

R.W.Julian's collection being sold

sigistenz

I haven't seen posts of R.W.Julian for quite a while. Now his collection appears in the upcoming mail bid sale of World Wide Coins of California. :huh: It makes me feel kind of sad. I hope all is well with him?

Sigi

-

Yes, I know how you feel ... same with me! :cry:

According to the preface in the WWCC catalog, many other coins of his have already been auctioned in recent years as part of the "Girard Collection" (???).

Would be nice to win just one coin from this auction which used to belong to him!

Now his collection appears in the upcoming mail bid sale of World Wide Coins of California.

I think it is only some of his silver roubles which are being auctioned here. He must have (had?) an immense collection of other Russian coins because he has been specializing in that field for such a long time.

Here is a quote from the catalog:

"(...) Mr. Julian has also been an assiduous collector of Russian coinage for over 40 years and we have been selling significant segments of his collection through our auctions since 2007 under the name 'Girard Collection.'"

Further along, the catalog states that Mr. Julian's type collection will be offered by WWCC in November, containing "many of the rare type and date rubles not present in the current offering."

So it appears that "Girard" was indeed RW Julian. :)

Closing day - May 16 2013 - The Robert W Julian collection of russian rubles Catherine II through Nicholas II

I have been tied up on other matters for a few days (including a trip to the Central

States show in Chicago) and not able to respond. My maternal grandfather was

Charles E. Girard (1864-1945), the source for the name.

One must eventually sell off a collection and I began to do so several years ago

but used the Girard name as I was still editor of the Russian Journal. It had originally

been intended to use the Girard name for this sale but I decided to use my own for

this and the coming November sale.

The November sale will basically be the type coins as well as a fair number of the

scarcer pieces. The collection had reached about 4500 pieces, including both Soviet

and Imperial, in 2006; the first sale was in November 2006.

I began collecting Russian material in 1952, when there was little interest, but times

have changed. Many of the pieces, such as the Georgian 1807 half abazi (one other

known, in the Hermitage) or the 1775 Moscow rouble, have long fascinated me but it

is time for others to enjoy these coins as I have done for so many years.

Nice to hear you are still with us, R.W.!

Thank you for your many contributions to not only this forum, but to Numismatics, over the years. I am sure I can speak for all reading here who are grateful for your work in Russian Numismatics in particular... THANK YOU!

Best of success in your upcoming sales, and may you have no regrets!

JCB

Nice to hear you are still with us, R.W.!

Thank you for your many contributions to not only this forum, but to Numismatics, over the years. I am sure I can speak for all reading here who are grateful for your work in Russian Numismatics in particular... THANK YOU!

Best of success in your upcoming sales, and may you have no regrets!

JCB

Very well said, Josh! I, too, would like to express my gratitude to R.W. Julian -- not just a master numismatist, but a kind and generous person who gives so much of his time in educating all of us who are less knowledgeable about the subject.

THANK YOU! :clapping:

Yes, R.W., I am grateful, too, for the fine job with the RNS magazine over so many years. You cannot have got rich over it, as the postage stamps alone to Europe about equaled the annual subscription fees. Not to speak of paper, printing, etc., and of course all the time and heart blood you put into it.

Thank you again and all the best, Sigi :art:

Bob mentioned 1775 Moscow rouble that he likes. I actually remember Bob bidding on this coin (and winning it) in 2000 at Reneissanse auction in Philadelphia. I was sitting right behind him. And, Steve D'Ippolito was right next to Bob. And I remember Steve bidding on 1854 rare "honest error" kopek. He was so excited, that he was bidding standing up. But, I do not think the luck was on his side that day. How quickly the time goes...

Mr R W Julian assisted me a lot in editing my numerous articles in our journal of RNS. He shared with me how he writes his articles, sometimes how it is hard to start even a sentence. Mr Julian is true expert of russian coins. He knows so much that really our phone conversations sometimes took one way street - him talking and giving out to me all what he knew, all what he could focus and remembered at the time of talk. Thank you Mr. Julian for all what you did for me !

4500 pieces is a large accumulation of coins and I am curious if World-Wide will be able to sell all of them. They usually sells not more then few hundreds.

• 2 weeks later...