CoinPeople.com

Oldest Coins You Have Found In Circulation

Bambooski

My grandmother grew up during the 1930s and remembered finding IHCs from time to time. One time she said she had a cent with an eagle on it, must have been a flying eagle cent - but alas the penny candy jar beckoned and she spent it.

BTW Just Carl - I have found cents that have been filed down to dime size in roll searches. I conjecture that they must have been filed down to use in pay phone slots. I remember when I was in a coin club back in the 1980s we had an older member whose father owned a service station during the 1930s and got a half dime in payment as a dime and was quite unhappy about getting ripped off! Similarly I have heard anecdotal tales of people finding 3c pieces in change as dimes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a kid I think the oldest thing I ever got in change was a 1919 cent, quite badly worn. Of course it was the early 70s then so I can only claim that coin was 50+ years old.

On the other hand just today I noticed one of the cents I had in my pocket yesterday was a 1926 and it is in VF-30 to boot. That sucker is 87 years old.

Not as valuable as the 1944 quarter I got in change a couple of years ago, though.

It's a bit more common to get nickels from the 1940s (not the silver ones though) in change here as that design has not changed since 1938.

I was picking through a dealer's junk and found at least one Swiss piece from the late 1800s as well, and not in noticeably bad condition, confirming what Jazinta said earlier.

I haven't gotten any really old Swiss coins in change, but I find the 20 rappen and half franc coins in change in the USA occasionally as 5 cent and 10 cent coins.

Really? I never get Swiss coins here. But you're lucky, because 1/2 franc is a lot more than 10 cents.

Really? I never get Swiss coins here. But you're lucky, because 1/2 franc is a lot more than 10 cents.

I have found them in dime rolls, but they also end up in the reject tray of the coin machine at the bank. The most valuable coin exchange wise that I have gotten a couple of from the reject tray are the Latvian 1 Lats coins that are worth $1.80 each.

I have found them in dime rolls, but they also end up in the reject tray of the coin machine at the bank. The most valuable coin exchange wise that I have gotten a couple of from the reject tray are the Latvian 1 Lats coins that are worth $1.80 each.

Once I was in vacation in Spain, and my little brother discovered 10 Kuwait dinars in the room, and in that time it was $36.

Last night searching through $60 in rolled cents I found a German 5 pfennig from 1981.

It's a nice souvenir, and you can still exchange for euros. I did that many years ago with my Franc coins.