CoinPeople.com

Oldest Coins You Have Found In Circulation

Bambooski

Ok, I feel really dumb, but where and what is a CoinStar Reject Bin?

Front right side of the machine down towards the floor, I haven't had a chance to check it lately at the local store as it seems somebody is always using it. When I was there yesterday, they had to crack the machine as it digested something, that didn't agree with it workings.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday not really in change, but in a bag of tokens I bought. Found a 2 doubles 1889 from Guernsey, a 25c 1942 Belgium coin and what looks like a south of the border coin but couldn't find it in the current would coin tome. So it might be just a token no wording other than a 5 on the reverse. Will post a photo later today, for help Iding.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying that I'm obsessed with pocket change, but my sons even empty their pockets when they visit for me to search.

And since I remarried, I now have a 10 year old stepson whom I have got interested in coins that I now have to beat to the goodies. Lol!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The oldest US coin I have found is a 1929 penny while oldest Canadian is 1939 penny. I have had family members with incredible luck... my mother actually got back a 1912 Barber dime as change in a cafeteria a couple years ago. I had an aunt who while making a wtihdrawal from the bank was told by the teller that someone deposited $10 in the bank... oh yeah the $10 was in Morgan silver dollars lol. Lets just say it was the world's fastest $10 withdrawal lol. Never had a chance to see what she had since she passed away and it got swept up with her stuff somewhere.

• 11 months later...

I know I've pulled some late 'teens out of penny rolls before, but nothing that I can reliably stick a date to. It's been quite some time. And I know I saw at least one IHC and one Buffalo nickel when I had a paper route in the 1970s. And there was one epic roll of halves right around the time that the Hunt boys were playing with the market that was all silver, mostly 40%, but including two or three 1964 Kennedys and one Franklin. Definitely made my money back on that one!

Oldest? When I worked in in a grocery store I found a civil war token masquerading as a penny. Crusty and black, it was in rough shape but there it was. As for regular coinage? I've found a few Indian head cents and "V" nickels over the past decade or so in my change. I've also come across about 3 or 4 blanks, a cent, dime, and a quarter or two. No date obviously, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've pulled some late 'teens out of penny rolls before, but nothing that I can reliably stick a date to. It's been quite some time. And I know I saw at least one IHC and one Buffalo nickel when I had a paper route in the 1970s. And there was one epic roll of halves right around the time that the Hunt boys were playing with the market that was all silver, mostly 40%, but including two or three 1964 Kennedys and one Franklin. Definitely made my money back on that one!

I had a paper route in the '70s, too! People gave me whatever change they had sitting around for years --Columbian Expo halves, Peace dollars, Merc dimes, winged eagle cents, Buffalo nickels. There was still a large amount of pre-1964 silver circulating.

These days I look for "old" Jeff nickels --it's not too rare to find a 1940's one. They're not worth much, but they're cool.

• 1 month later...

Since I started collecting in the 1950s, I found lots of things that would be considered old now. Liberty Nickels, Barbers, SLQs etc. Used to to Morgans from the banks just by asking - $1 each.

My oldest so far from roll searching etc:

1858 FE Cent back in April - the same week I also got an 1890 IHC in another roll.

1888 Liberty Nickel earlier this year

1898 Barber dime in a coin machine reject slot this spring

Dateless SL quarter in a reject slot a couple of years ago

1942 WL half in a roll a couple of years ago.

1897 Morgan from circulation when I was a kid, got in change at an A&W after an older customer in front of me spent it.