CoinPeople.com

Beware - fakes

sigistenz

This color should ring alarm bells, see eBay link below. The seller was nice enough to provide additional pictures, see them below. On the edge a seam is clearly seen. It is there where the two halves of the mould met. We have to do with a galvano. I informed the seller, let's see if there will be a reaction. :rolleyes:

Sigi

http://www.ebay.it/i...E:X:AAQ:IT:1123

1793a.jpg

1793c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this kind of forgeries before.

Unfortunately I did not mark down what dates and mints they were, but they were all 5 kopeck coins of Ekaterina II, no better dates involved. Experienced people were astonished by the good overall quality of these forgeries, and if it had not been for the clearly visible edge seam, they possibly had passed as genuine. They came all in one lot and were after examination returned to the seller.

Interesting to know, that galvano produces this "side-effect".

I have seen this kind of forgeries before.

Unfortunately I did not mark down what dates and mints they were, but they were all 5 kopeck coins of Ekaterina II, no better dates involved. Experienced people were astonished by the good overall quality of these forgeries, and if it had not been for the clearly visible edge seam, they possibly had passed as genuine. They came all in one lot and were after examination returned to the seller.

Interesting to know, that galvano produces this "side-effect".

Yes, I remember a lot of 4 of those about 5-6 years ago (a 5kop1793/6EMPaul, a 5kop1794AM and two others which I do not recall). A German collector had bought them from an Estonian eBay seller and asked my opinion. As they were obviously fake, he returned them.

I had scanned them and presented them here. Unfortunately I cannot find my posting and pictures of the time.

Sigi

-

This color should ring alarm bells, see eBay link below. The seller was nice enough to provide additional pictures, see them below. On the edge a seam is clearly seen. It is there where the two halves of the mould met. We have to do with a galvano. I informed the seller, let's see if there will be a reaction. :rolleyes:

Sigi

http://www.ebay.it/i...E:X:AAQ:IT:1123

1793a.jpg

1793c.jpg

Known fakes. Baltic made. Have been known for, at least, 6-7 years.

• 2 weeks later...