CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth Copper 2 Kopeek Coins

alexbq2

I've been trying to digest some information that was posted by Mr. Evdokimov on one of Russian forums.

He has managed to break down the 2 kopeek coins by mints that produced them. He published an article recently in one of Russian numismatic magazines. Not sure which one, and I have not seen the article. Does anyone have it?

At any rate, here's a picture where he identifies St. George by the mints that produced the coin. Note that Moscow Mint (MMD) put a distinguishing mark on the back of the saddle. However early MMD coins didn't have it see #4. EM often has that ornament on the back of the lance.

Apart from these unique elements, there seem to be stylistic differences between the mints. (Although St. Petersburg and Sestroretsk coins are indistinguishable). I noted that EM's horse is more rounded and has small ears. St. Petersburg and Moscow coins are pretty similar, if I understood the author correctly the horses mane on SPM coins should look like the one on this picture.

Pretty interesting! :)

23040.jpg

Thank you Alex. It's funny how everyone tried to ID their coins once they read your post. I did the same. :) I think that if the coin doesn't have enough details (like most of my 2 kopeks with St.George) one may be able to identify mint by the dragons' smiles (faces). See how MD dragons are trying to bite their spears (#5 even has teeth!) most of the time? EM sucks on it, where as SPB opens it's mouth wide to swallow. :yes: I'm sure it's not always the case, but did anyone every try to classify mints by dragon faces before? It could be useful... :pardon:

to have coins in such condition like in post one - must live in russia, more chances

Additionally, I have learned that in 1757 St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Ekaterinburg mints made 2 kopeek coins with denomination above the rider. Only Ekaterinburg minted this type in subsequent years (58, 59, 60, 61). All coins of this type are overstrikes. Moscow and St. Petersburg re-edged all coins with a netted edge. Ekaterburg did not modify the edge. That's why 1757 inscription above rider is not considered to be rare with netted edge. Most Ekaterinburg overstrikes retain EKATERINBURG edge inscription, but some have the netted edge. It seems that Moscow edge inscription is possible in 1757, but apparently none are know or published.

St. George seems to resemble that on the other 2 kopeek type.

2kop1757top.jpg

A couple of nice examples of 1757 Moscow and SPB were posted but not Ekaterinburg, so I stuck my coin at the end. It has EKATERINBURG edge, while the other 2 coins are netted.

This is a really helpful post. It's so much easier to see what people are talking about when talking about certain details on coins that are easily seen in a photograph provided by the author. Photos in reference books seem to be too blurry or low quality most times.