CoinPeople.com

Where is The Best Place To Buy or Sell Coins

Roger

<font size=3> Easy question, where is the best place (your opinion) to buy and/or sell coins. Not so easy answer--I know you can write a book to include all of variables but just want to know where the users of Coin People like to acquire or dispose of their coins. What and/or where is most enjoyable, profitable, fun, best or worst experiance. Either online, in person, coin shows, pawn shops etc. My focus would be in the US but I would invite all to post their experiances.

Note to moderators: if this post is in the wrong place, please by all means move it

Ebay has its shortcomings. In some areas the variety of coins available has diminished considerably over the past 5-8 years. Still, it's a useful source for price comparison.

If you live not too far from a coin shop, that's a best starting point. Otherwise, there are lots of online dealers. Maybe some other Coin Peep can suggest some?

I think it wholly depends upon what you're looking to sell or buy.

For example I like selling on my website and often list a small handful on eBay but I love buying from eBay and auction houses around the world as well as metal detectorists.

It's personal preference as there's so much choice today.

For a guy like me, who mostly collects old commemorative medals not coins, eBay reigns supreme. I do have a few online dealers that I buy from but just like an angler that keeps his favourite fishing holes a secret, I will not divulge them!

I used to attend all the coin & antique shows in my area but finding decent medals was always very doubtful & I found that because I had money in my pocket & was keen to spend it, after making the effort to go to a show, I would perhaps overspend for a mediocre medal, just because I did not want to go home empty handed. Whereas on eBay there is no pressure to buy & something new is always being listed.

As for selling :shock: that is an anathema to me :bwink:

So far the consensus is that buying on Ebay is a good thing and I for the most part agree. However selling seems to be a different matter with the outrageous fees and rules. Ebay does have a huge market and the number of sales overshadow any other web based auction. As far a divulging your specific honey holes I wouldn't expect anyone to give those up as I wouldn't either. One of the issues I have is trying to obtain a specific coin or medal that is lumped together in a lot with other coins/medals. If I purchase the lot then what do I do with the leftovers? I suppose the answer is to resist buying those lots and find the lone medal/coin somewhere else. I do agree with Constanius on the fact if you make an effort to go to the coin show or auction you feel compelled to come home with something.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on what you are buying or selling. Barbers go for top premium on Ebay but I have gotten deals at a local coin shop. I also notice shifts in price on Ebay where a local shop has steady prices. One thing about Ebay is if you are a new seller and don't have a tracking number, payment is slower and if you sell at a coin show or shop, you get cash in hand. It really depends.

There are still plenty of honest sellers left on eBay and that's where I look for and buy coins/medals/tokens these days.

Much like Constanius I am loathe to sell my coins but when I do I usually use eBay or just sell on the forums so I am sure my coins go to a good home.

As for me I think this is rather an easy question and easy answers. However, the answers mostly depend on where you live, ease of transportation and a few other things.

1. Hands down no ebay, on line dealer, coin store could ever beat the coin shows. For prices. For fun. For information. To meet people. And lots of other things that go with a coin show. Normally no taxes, no parking fees, no entrance fees, no insurances, no lost in mail, no wrong item sent.

Naturally the problem with coin shows is does your area have them.

2. Flea markets are my second choice for prices. Not usually the best place for varieties or quantitiies though

3. Garage/yard/estate sales are next for basically the same reason as 2. above

4. Most coin stores if you frequent them enough to get known.

5. ebay or other on line auctions.

I just could not possibly ever find the deals, prices, education and anything else dealing with coins over a coin show.

Of course in my area we have 4 a Month and all withing abou 15 miles of me.