CoinPeople.com

PCGS Rattlers, do you collect them.

rjp

Hi

I am new here and I just thought I would see if there are many people who collect the PCGS Rattlers.

I have been at it for 6 or 7 years now and have massed up quite a herd, eh hoard of these.

The two rarest coins I have seen in the rattler are 1856 FE cent and a 1893-S Morgan. I have seen gold in them but I don't own any, so I don't know what rare gold in in them.

Also I have done an article on the ANACS photo certs, it is 32 pages of the 10 different certs that ANACS has issued over the 18 years that the ANA and ANACS were together.

I can only email it out to anyone, so if you might like a copy PM me with a email address that I can send it to.

Thanks, Bob

Here is a link to my Registry Sets at PCGS

http://www.pcgs.com/...ts.aspx?m=32594

IMG.jpg

1882-S Ms64PL Rev (290x400) (145x200) (73x100).jpg

:bthumbsup:

I like the rattlers because PCGS apparently used to be much stricter on grading back then than nowadays. The rattlers are getting scarce because a lot of people like to submit them for regrading -- sometimes cracking them out beforehand.

You have some very nice sets ... :art: Good luck on completing many of them in the near future!

A famous collector (don't know who it was) once said that there are two major crises a collector faces in the course of building a collection:

1 - Not finding that one elusive coin you need to complete your set;

and

2 - Finding and acquiring the coin, because then you'll need to find another object of desire to chase! :)

Thanks for the comments.

#1 seems to be my current problem at hand.

Before rattlers I was dealing with #2 and was not sure what to collect.

All of these holders are really fun to search for.

If you don't know what the sample slabs are, go to www.sampleslabs.com and read up on them.

There are some really rare ones and the prices are not too bad yet, but they are seeing some activity and are increasing.

Bob

• 3 months later...

Mark

I see on your site that you have a littlebit of every thing. That seems to be the way I collect also.

Glad you stopped in and left a post.

But I have gotten out of the collecting sets so much and now I collect PCGS rattlers, ANACS photo certs and any out of business old TPG slabs. I never knew there were so many compaines that have come and gone.

The plus side of collecting the plastics is there are real rare ones out the that only a handful of people know about. And most of the time the holder is worth more then the coin. I just got a 1977-S Ike dollar in a rare holder for 15 dollars on ebay. The holder makes it a 100 dollar item.

I think it is neat that some of the collectors do collect the plastic because if all the dealer would crack them out to sell the coin easier then, there would be no history of a company that was in business and has come and gone like the wind.

Bob

I have a few rattlers in my collection but have only purchased one of them specifically to get the old slab. On top of that it turns out that PCGS wants to re-slab the coin before they'll allow it to be added to a registry set -- it's a very old slab. Of course when I would send them the old slabbed coin, per their own t's & c's, they could replace it with another coin of same date, mm, condition but in a new slab. SO I'd lose the old slab that I wanted for my set and that I in fact paid a premium to acquire. This does not make me a happy camper and in fact it is the reason that I have stopped all progress on my PCGS registry sets. Anyway.....

Here's the slab in question.

7160235148_f0c7c3837c_z.jpg

1953 5C PR66 PCGS - BAD SLAB!!!! by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Mark

If you click on my link for PCGS, (in #1 post) I have many rattler sets that I am collecting. PCGS will only let you register PCGS slabbed coins. If you have anyone elses slab you my have it in your coin album at PCGS but not in any set there. I have many non PCGS coins in my album. so you would have to go page by page thru the album to see them.

Bob

ART

I see you have a problem with a rattler being the the PCGS data base. As I have checked the serial number and I get the reply that

"That Cert Is not available for display"

I did have three rattlers that had a problem but I have kept the coin, rattler holders, and now they are all in the data base, and in my sets for anyone to look at.

I copied the rattler and sent the pictures to the people at PCGS in control of the reg. sets, Now this did take a few months but in the end the serial number was added and all ended well. I was willing to send the coin in as long as they did not break it out and they finally just used the pictures I sent to make it right.

I hope you stick with PCGS and get the coin straightened out.

Bob

ART

I see you have a problem with a rattler being the the PCGS data base. As I have checked the serial number and I get the reply that

"That Cert Is not available for display"

I did have three rattlers that had a problem but I have kept the coin, rattler holders, and now they are all in the data base, and in my sets for anyone to look at.

I copied the rattler and sent the pictures to the people at PCGS in control of the reg. sets, Now this did take a few months but in the end the serial number was added and all ended well. I was willing to send the coin in as long as they did not break it out and they finally just used the pictures I sent to make it right.

I hope you stick with PCGS and get the coin straightened out.

Bob

Thanks Bob that's good input. I've sort of given up on the PCGS thing after contacting them several times about it. They insist that they have to reslab the coin and cannot put it in the database without doing so -- hence no way to put it in the Registry Set. I'll contact them again later today and see if I can press the issue a bit further.

I did it all by email and just used the PCGS set Registry Help Contact and Cosseta Robbins was the one that finally took care of it all.

Send the picture Obverse and Reverse, and I hope they will correct the info in there data base for you.

It just takes time. But it seems like a no brainer for them to correct the info in a timily manner. But who knows.

Bob