CoinPeople.com

Hello Everyone!! newbie from chicago

Hello all,

I received my Grandparent's collection years ago. I never really graded or had anything appraised. I just added here and there. But my boys (7 and 10 )are getting more interested in collecting! And me being an amateur at best!! lol I wanted to start them off right.

I just recently received my fathers coin collection. I wanted to start to organize and catalog everything. My father loved Morgan's,halves, silver quarter's, dimes and so. As an example: Going threw the Quarter rolls. I found A 1932S quarter And by the book US coins 2011 . it has no wear nice luster, light bag wear All high point visible. I have seen pricing all over the place online. So i think i need a professional. Any thought's where i should go to get grading done? I wanted to start with about 84 pieces or so. Also how much does grading cost normally? Thanks Joe and sorry so long

For pricing check out http://www.pcgs.com and http://www.ngc.com. There are other grading services out there but you will find that collectors will regard coins in those holders as worth less, in other words they will pay less for a coin graded MS-63 from a "second tier" service than they will for a coin graded MS-63 by PCGS or NGC. (There is a second tier and even a third tier of grading services.) And I've even seen NGC treated at a discount relative to PCGS. Anything that looks like it could be worth over a hundred bucks is worth considering for this sort of service.

You may or may not find it more convenient to submit the coins via a coin dealer but I have never done this and I don't know how much they would charge for the service.

Last of all, if you see some that look tarnished: no matter how tarnished they may look, do not, do not, DO NOT attempt to clean them! There are some things that can be done about tarnished coins if it is really ugly (and in many cases it is not, and will add considerably to the value of the coin!) but if you are new to this you have neither the judgement or know-how. Not trying to be condescending here, but I am trying to avoid a tragedy... a misguided cleaning cannot be undone but a decided-against-out-of-caution proper cleaning can still be done at some day in the future.

Thanks Steve for the quick reply and advise !! I do know not to clean them. I watch Antique Road Show. LOL Just Kidding. I just never had anybody look at my stuff before.

Since the kids are home on break and I'm laid out from knee surgery for six more weeks. Thought i could get a ruff idea what i got here. But between the books and online nothing is matching up ya know

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Both PCGS and NGC have collector clubs that you can join. They are a bit pricey BUT you get some free certifications depending on the type of membership you pick, so it becomes well worth the cost very quickly. Also both services allow members to submit directly to them, that keeps your costs down because you don't have to pay a dealer any processing fees. Submission is pretty simple and both have online tracking so you can find you easily what's going on with your coins.

If you do join and get say 5 free certifications, I'd pick the 5 top coins in the collection based upon what you can determine. Good luck with it and above all I hope you and the boys have a great time with coin collecting.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived