CoinPeople.com

Cooking with coins

Blackhawk

With the holiday season fast approaching, I'm again reminded of the British tradition of putting silver threepence into their Christmas pudding. Has anyone on the forum ever done this? If so, how many coins are put into the pudding?

If you're familiar with any other cooking that includes coins (or banknotes for that matter), please post on this thread and tell us about it.

From what I remember there isn't a set number of threepences but usually it's just one. You may crack your tooth but at least you get a silver coin! :grin:

You may wish to use a pre-1919 sterling one since some or all of the 1920s and later 50% issues have nickel in the alloy.

What about using one from a Maundy Set, then you could have Royal Christmas Pudding

What about using one from a Maundy Set, then you could have Royal Christmas Pudding

If you're feeling really festive then you might as well put a gold sovereign in. :grin:

Has anyone on the forum ever done this? If so, how many coins are put into the pudding?

The number of sixpences = the number of children in my parents house. I am sure that when Mum cut the pudding & dished it up that she inserted the sixpences into each of the childrens servings, ie with sleight of hand after cooking, quite easily done into a cut piece of xmas pud :bthumbsup:

Archived