CoinPeople.com

Unknown Plantagenet Hammered Coin

Lhare

Hello, I'm finding it difficult to identify this coin and wondered if anyone could help me. I've looked through my Spink but can't find a coin like it. The coin is similar to those issued under the Plantagenet Kings but the bust is not wearing a crown. If anyone could help I'd be very grateful.

123.jpg

234.jpg

It's not a Plantagenet coin. This is what is known as a pollard and is a coin from the continent, usually the Low Countries, imitating the style of the Edward I and II pennies.

A quick bit of research makes me think that this is a Guy de Dampierre sterling, (sterling being the denomination). The obverse reads "MARCHIO NAMVRC" which translates as the Marquis of Namur whereas the reverse reads "G COMES FLADRE" whereby the "G" stands for Guy and the "COMES FLADRE" is Count of Flanders. Literally, Guy Count of Flanders. This will date to around 1290.

I hope that this helps.

Clive.

Wow, thank you very much Clive; that's really interesting.

Not a problem, I enjoyed the challenge.

Did you find this coin whilst metal detecting?

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :art:

Not a problem, I enjoyed the challenge.

Did you find this coin whilst metal detecting?

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :art:

Thank you!

No I didn't find it whilst metal detecting, I bought it on EBay. The seller didn't know what it was and the pictures were very blurry but I could just make out the long cross reverse and thought it was a Plantagenet coin.

Thank you!

No I didn't find it whilst metal detecting, I bought it on EBay. The seller didn't know what it was and the pictures were very blurry but I could just make out the long cross reverse and thought it was a Plantagenet coin.

Sounds like you got yourself a very good deal. :bthumbsup:

Archived