CoinPeople.com

Morgan 1881 s - "overdipped" OR not ?

CMCART

Thinking

1881-S VAM-22 Slanted Date, S Set Left, Doubled Right Reverse

Probably dipped but actually for a morgan normal. Morgan dollars are probably one of the most cleaned/dipped coins you can find.

Thinking

1881-S VAM-22 Slanted Date, S Set Left, Doubled Right Reverse

Probably dipped but actually for a morgan normal. Morgan dollars are probably one of the most cleaned/dipped coins you can find.

Thanks!

What does it mean?

Can be MS...?

Have an impact on price for dipped coin like this one ?

Great Coin, looks ok to me, but I'm just a collector of Morgans not a re-seller.

If you look at the VAM link to Morgans, yours matches a few variations

MS, would be hard to tell from the photo, but kinda doubt it.

Cleaned coins are devalued somewhat,but most have been at some time.

My entire circulated Morgan book are all dirty, black, ugly coins, they are ALL there, just not pretty to look at.

Hold onto it for a couple years, silver will go up more, collectors will be snagging these up as public and private inventory depletes

Tom

Actually dipped is pretty normal. Even ones graded by pcgs and ngc can be dipped. Personally I'd say it did not make a difference on this one. If you had a 1889 carson city you were asking big bucks for it would. Also if you think about it toned is another word for tarnished. So you are not going to please all the people all the time. I've seen some ugly toned coins people will throw down on and tell the owner they need to dip it. There is no perfect coin for every body. And a lot of the coins right now that are toned had a good chance of being dipped at one time or another. Early collectors and sellers even regularly cleaned them. The red book had instructions at one time on how to clean coins what would freak out folks now. Store it improperly for awhile and it will tone. But then others would say you are just tarnishing it. :shock: Doing a search on ebay I see a obvious fake toned au 1881 s what sold for $65, a pcgs ms62 dipped coin that sold for $50.

• 2 months later...

I like the dollar. Frankly overdipped coins often have a "flat" appearance with no luster. This coin appears bright and lustrous.

• 1 month later...

IMHO -- if you can tell that a coin has been dipped at all, then it has been overdipped and/or not rinsed properly. Dipping a coin properly is not easy to do, and most people forget to rinse (with distilled water) for several minutes afterwards, even if the dip only lasted a minute or even less.

Given the little experience I have had in dipping coins, it seems to me that the better the overall condition, the more chances of success you will have dipping that coin. If it has little hairline scratches, for example, the dip will not penetrate into the scratch at the same rate as it works on the flat surfaces. OTOH, if you dip it long enough to remove whatever dark patina is held in a scratch or mark, the surface is being eaten away in other places where it shouldn't.

So the question is, do we really need to dip uncirculated coins at all? I think it's better to leave the toning on if it is even and pleasing in appearance since it protects the coin's surfaces. If it is splotchy, then dipping can be an improvement -- YMMV.

As to the coin in question, it is fairly easy to find nice 1881-S Morgans in prooflike condition at MS-64 and better, so I wonder whether it was worth it to dip this one (assuming that it was dipped at all)? Hard to tell what the condition really is from the pictures which unfortunately are not in good focus and were taken under unfavorable lighting conditions. You can do a lot to improve the focus by taking the pictures at an angle straight-on to the coin, i.e. at 90% perpendicular to the coin's surface. If the angle is slanted, no way your camera can focus properly on all parts of the coin at once since one edge is further away than the other relative to the lens. That's why your first two images turned out the best, IMHO.

Archived