CoinPeople.com

Pauls Recoining on ebay

squirrel

At 50mm it is very wide, even for an overstruck pyatak. Looks a bit strange (to me) that the beaded rim design on both sides is so close to the edge at that width (and so far away from the wreath).

I can't make out the date at all.

click me

Can anyone make out the last two digits of the date here (not the "1796" date from the cipher overstrike)

something isnt quite right here. Opinions?

I can't recognize the date either but I trust gxseries' eagle eyes. An interesting coin, seller offered it on eBay at least 3 times over the years at the ridiculous price.

Coin looks unusual but authentic to me. Sigi

-

Thanks for the replies all.

I have a hard time seeing the 3 as well, but GX has proven to have a sharp eye for this type of puzzle.

An interesting example, but i agree, WAY overpriced.

Caught my eye as an overstrike with visual appeal, for sure, but just something odd about it.

seller says that acquired this piece somewhere and paid high price for it,

- all 6 offers were declined so far by the seller :art:

Here's a photo that should help -

1793.png

All I did is to rotate it and it should be a lot easier to look at.

It would be nice if I can get my hands on this coin but again, it's a bit too high. Definitely worth more than an usual overstruck coin because of the clear visibility - imagine trying to buy a 1796 10 kopek! :shock:

And no, my eyes are actually very very bad - I have to wear glasses that are so thick and when others try to wear them, they get dizzy for quite some time. Technically blind without my glasses for sure. But again, I enjoy looking at rocks and look at their mineralogy and faults - turns out I can apply the same thing for numismatics :grin: The real irony is, I struggle with varieties at times :lol: Need more training.

Here's a photo that should help -

1793.png

All I did is to rotate it and it should be a lot easier to look at.

It would be nice if I can get my hands on this coin but again, it's a bit too high. Definitely worth more than an usual overstruck coin because of the clear visibility - imagine trying to buy a 1796 10 kopek! :shock:

And no, my eyes are actually very very bad - I have to wear glasses that are so thick and when others try to wear them, they get dizzy for quite some time. Technically blind without my glasses for sure. But again, I enjoy looking at rocks and look at their mineralogy and faults - turns out I can apply the same thing for numismatics :grin: The real irony is, I struggle with varieties at times :lol: Need more training.

Thank you Hisa, for opening my eyes (which aren't the best either). The charme of this coin is its enormous size revealing a dotted rim nearly all around, plus the nice color.

As its weight is only 42 grams it must be very thin.

Sigi

-

• 2 weeks later...

Archived