CoinPeople.com

Collector's Best City

thedeadpoint

Which cities are meccas for collectors? What makes those cities meccas?

• Are those cities filled with museums that showcase ancient coin treasures or numismatic rarities?
  • Are there a lot of coin stores in those cities? Big auction galleries?
  • Is the collector community unusually tight and cohesive?
  • Are lots of conventions and shows held nearby?
  • Are circulating coins there better because it's an international melting pot? Or do old coins still come up in change because many small banks aren't hunted by roll hunters?

Which cities are meccas for collectors? What makes those cities meccas?

• Are those cities filled with museums that showcase ancient coin treasures or numismatic rarities?
  • Are there a lot of coin stores in those cities? Big auction galleries?
  • Is the collector community unusually tight and cohesive?
  • Are lots of conventions and shows held nearby?
  • Are circulating coins there better because it's an international melting pot? Or do old coins still come up in change because many small banks aren't hunted by roll hunters?

Good questions. Based on my personal experience I'd say New York City is one of the best places for Numismatics in general. Lots of great museums and the auction houses are superb. Coin clubs are far more active there because there are so many people to draw from. You have the Numismatic Society headquarters and several Internationally know auctions each year. I'm not sure about the banks anymore as I haven't lived there in a long long time. I do know a few dealers that have outstanding junk boxes and one that I know who buys boxes of coins from a charity that collects them at Kennedy International and LaGuardia.

Washington DC of course has the National Coin Collection at the Smithsonian and the BEP as well. Not sure about coin shops and such in that area. Maryland where I used to live was very light on reasonable dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

So why the excessively large area taken up with "Can this beauty wind PCI2011?"

Very distracting since it eats up about half the screen and serves little purpose to each post. And it is repeated on every one of yours so I guess it is ment to be distracted.

As to your question, buried amonst that photo, is my suggestion that Chicago area is the best for coins. At least for now. In areas around Chicago are 3 constant coin shows a Month. 1st,2nd,3rd Sundays of every Month in different areas. Also, possibly 10 or more coin clubs. About 20 coin specialty type stores and many hobby stores that carry coin items. Several large shows at the Rosemont Convention Center where there is one this Month that usually has many hundreds of dealers from all over. Several coin dealers at the many flea markets too.

So why the excessively large area taken up with "Can this beauty wind PCI2011?"

Huh? Whattcha talkin' 'bout Willis?

:hysterical:

Huh? Whattcha talkin' 'bout Willis?

:hysterical:

Probably not as I'm planning a full slate of entries this year. :grin:

Archived