CoinPeople.com

Imagine that!

allen.moore

Paul's recoining?? Ciphers were struck under Catherine II (real ones, at least)

Maybe the guy who produced these was also named Paul? After all, Pasha is a very common Russian name :grin:

However, judging by the same little "n" -- that could also be the initial of an engraver (like P.U., etc.) So, it could be Nicholas's recoining -- after all, Kolya, is also a very common name in Russia...

Maybe the guy who produced these was also named Paul? After all, Pasha is a very common Russian name :grin:

However, judging by the same little "n" -- that could also be the initial of an engraver (like P.U., etc.) So, it could be Nicholas's recoining -- after all, Kolya, is also a very common name in Russia...

Sorry for any confusion - I was using the description from Uzdenikov (page 259 of my English-Russian version, Variety 6). I suddenly realized I was looking at the wrong variety. What is shown on eBay is actually Variety 7, which Uzdenikov describes as "coin of new pattern." The book also makes mention of the "N" mark (Cyrillic "H") as being somewhat rare, but the illustration shown in Uzdenikov is not sufficiently detailed to compare the eBay photo with. So, there you go!

Aha... If you are looking at Uzdenikov's book and see ( H ) next to the coin, it means that there is an official novodel that is hard to distinguish from the original. The piece of guano you showed has nothing in common with an official novodel, except, maybe, they were both made in a year different from that on the item. But, that is it.

Not sure that I'm familiar with this pattern. Sounds like that fantasy piece with 1764/1796 obverse/reverse?

These actually appear (and are illustrated) in Von Winklers 60-page monograph on the Cipher series and the subsequent re-coining: Overstriking of Copper Coins 1796-1797 (St. Petersburg, 1898). The eagle is described as being struck from a 'novodel' die of a 1762 Peter III 10K. At this point I don't know when they were made, but they've clearly been around for a while.

Can you believe this has actually shown up on eBay?

(unless it's not real...)

these modern overstirkes were discussed few times already and made for educational purposes in Russia for schools and some local region museums :)

Archived