CoinPeople.com

A Jeffersonian census

Finn235

Been married a lot longer than you but I make time for searching nickels. Lately I have been bringing my minder/bodyguard/17 year old daughter with me because she is good luck. 8 Silver halves, and 19 silver 1942-5 nickels over a couple of days last week. I search anywhere from $300-$1000 a week.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently had the opportunity to go through a new box after taking a very long break. Unfortunately, the bank these came from does not keep sealed boxes, and does not give customers the opportunity to choose which nickels they want. So, $100 worth of customer rolls it was.

Sadly, nothing particularly noteworthy.

However, a couple of these rolls were clearly part of a recently-spent collection. Many of the coins from the mid 80s until the mid 90s are in remarkable condition (ballpark MS63-65), and many show faint blue-green toning from long term storage.

Other than that, a few from the 40s and 50s, but only common dates.

I guess it is the older demographic of bank customers that I find that usually CWR are about as good as BWR. I went through $120 in CWR from my credit union this morning and found a dateless buffer. That 1894 above also came from a CWR from another credit union. That branch got the customary box of treats as usual when I find a 100 year old coin.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of weddings. You may want to try this. In the past when I know someone that is getting married and they are coin collectors, instead of currency in a card, give them all rolls of Nickels or Dimes or Pennies. Not to long ago someone I knew was getting married and collected Pennies and drank a lot of beer. So I took many beer cans, drank the beer, washed out the cans, filled them with Pennies, gift wrapped it and gave it to them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow. I can't believe people actually find proofs in change!

I found a proof "penny" once too. I presume it is most likely stolen and spent as face-value, or busted from a set for drugs or something. I had a friend as an undergrad who cracked his birth set to buy food at face value. I found out after the fact. I also had some sets stolen while an undergrad and my guess is they were just spent.

I watched a guy pay for food with three Franklin halves at a supermarket a few years ago...needless to say I snapped those up as I was just behind him in line.