CoinPeople.com

A Jeffersonian census

Finn235

I searched $85 worth yesterday - no buffers, no silver. But I did find a nice VF 1938-S which will get Whitmaned, and a nice EF 1942 GVI Canada 5c coin. First GVI find in nickels ever, and the '38-S is now my earliest S mint nickel from circ. I have cleaned all my supplying banks of nickels for another couple of weeks unless my one branch can order a couple of boxes next week(I gift carded them before asking) :bthumbsup:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've happily completed 8 full Jeff sets from circulation. Found most double-dies, RPMs, OMMs and a slew of wicked errors. The secret?

Have 2 strokes within 6 months. Initially began getting my fingers moving, flipping each to view both sides. Couldn't get away with it in the hospital,

but I kept well stocked in the convelecent hell-hole. I'm back 75%, walking, talking and being a general pain. I scour through at least 10,000 pieces per week.

(4 boxes) My high is 21 Buffs with dates from a single box. Ditto on another occasion, 30 wars. The most lucrative have been the 82's & 83's, with a roll of aUNC '82P's netting me $110.

While the silver is drying up, its apparent collections are being dumped. (3 UNC & 1 BU 50-D) This is my take, Fine or better, from the last month:

1899 Liberty

05 Liberty

35 buff

37 buff

Jeffs

38d

38s

39s

40d

40s

41d

41s

42d

43S war

44S war

45P war

46d

46s

47s

48d

49d

50d

51d

52d

52s

53d

53s

54d

54s

55d

56d

57d

58d

59d

All '60's-present in UNC. I pulled mutiples, even rolls of many dates. Probably the biggest shocker was a nearly flawless '51-S

BTW, '09P's for the month is @ 36, while the D's @ 6. And that's in Idaho.

I did a favour for one of my tellers, that I have been buying from - bought the $10 in cents and $25 in nickels. Nickels were lackluster, a 40, a 41, a 46, a 59, 69-S and three 70-S. Cents were a bust - one wheat, two YH Canada cents and a '69-S. But wait, there was that ugly thing that looked like a rotted out Zincoln, but as I cast it off into the reject pile I noticed it had the heft of copper. I looked at it and couldn't make any details on the coin. So I rubbed it a bit on the towel, I have to find a soft bristle brush to clean off the crust. But I can now discern the small shield above "One Cent" flanked by the laurel wreath. My "castoff" is indeed bronze, and it is over 100 years old - ANOTHER INDIAN CENT :bhyper: this makes three of them that I have found in coin roll searches in the past couple of months.

I still have to find a soft toothbrush or something that I can brush off the crust without damaging the coin - but I know it is an Indian. :yahoo:

It is definitely something that someone dug up in their garden or something and turned around and spent without ever bothering to determine what it was. Right now I can faintly see the outline of the headress on Ms. Longacre and the "19" of the date.

Hear hoofbeats, expect horses not zebras.

See copper piece the size of a Lincoln cent, expect Lincoln cent not something the finder probably never even heard of.

Not everyone is watching their change! It takes obsessed (if not malfunctioning :grin:) minds such as ours to even want to bother. This is why we even find these things like 1944 quarters (I am still stunned I found that one a month or so ago) in change either spontaneously or dedicated searching--because 99% of people don't look.

I am conjecturing without tearing at it, that the date on the coin is 1907. I haven't cleaned coins since soaking Romans in mineral water years ago, so I am going to try to be professional about getting the crud off it so I don't destroy it. I have to believe someone dug it up outside and turned around and spent it.

Finn, I'm always on the look-out for a '44 Henning. I do doubletakes on pieces with

that type of porousity.

That would certainly be nice if it were a Henning, but I'm afraid that the pourousity you see in the image is actually the poor image quality: I had been taking photos in low light the night before and forgot to reset my camera's ISO setting when I was done; it was set at 800.

Here is a better picture with a known S-mint war nickel for comparison:

IMG_3370.jpg

Same picture with colors inverted and contrast enhanced:

IMG_3370-1.jpg

S-mint war nickel without a doubt. It's just seen some abuse over the years.

No Buffers for me lately, but have dredged out some more silver though. Lately I am finding that my credit unions are just more than accommodating, selling amounts like $250 etc and even ordering me $1000 worth to pick up next Thursday. My banks have been good to me, but I am finding these credit unions are truly a hoarders friend.

Another day, another $25 gone through - no silver :sorry: but did adopt another Buffer, a 1929 this time. Actually I bought those from one of my banks that bags loose deposits through their coin sorting machine. As the teller was emptying their bag into mine I spotted the Buffer and pulled it out and showed her what I am looking for. Now she understands my "madness" :bthumbsup:

Now I am going to have to wait till the credit union gets my nickel order next week for more finds.

BTW Thanks Finn325, you have inspired a new pursuit. I have pretty much waysided cents, and moved onto nickels - there are just more treasures there - and the possibility of finding silver - got two silver war babies in the past week. And the two Buffers. Also found the 1950 Philly that filled my Whitman hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, Brinks never ceases to satisfy! Out of 2 boxes:

Dateless buffalo

1940 x 3

1941 x 5

1941-D

1941-S

1942 x 3

1942-D

1946 x 5

1946-D

1947-S

1948 x 3

1949-D

1951-D

1952-D

1953 x 2

1953-D x 2

1954-D x 2

1955-D

1956-D x 4

1957-D x 5

1958-D x 4

1959-D

1960 BU

1964 AU

And 4 canadians... the most I've ever found from a Brinks box.

I've been skunked on the past couple searches in terms of silver, but that's not too surprising, considering the spot price of silver.

I found a 43-P for my silver on Monday. Bout the only exciting find, everything else has been common date 40s and 50s. I am having to scour new banks and credit unions now as I have seemingly exhausted the supply chain for awhile.

Today I got $270 in nickels from one of my credit unions, all bagged - preferable to rolls since I don't have to deal with the wrappers afterwards.

I found three Buffers, two dateless and one 1935 in VF. A 1938-D Jeffer(filled a hole in my Whitman) and two more silver nickels - a '43-S and a 44-P. I also found a handful of '40s and '50s nickels and a good assortment of S-mints from 1941-1970. Also found another 1950 Philly. If I could find a '55 Philly and a '50-D sometime I would be a happy camper.

Today I could only find $20 worth of nickels at an out of town bank. I thought, oh great, I am going to get skunked with nothing but maybe a couple of 1950s Jeffs and that was it.

On the 5th roll I opened up, halfway through, a 1910 Liberty in AG-3. Roll # 7 had a dateless Buffer. Roll #8 had a 1903 Liberty. Also got a 1939 a 1941, a 1954 and a 1958 to round out the finds.