CoinPeople.com

A Jeffersonian census

Finn235

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been bitten for half my life! I just never follow through. IF I get to the bank, I don't ask for enough rolls and used to only get the penny rolls. IF I set aside time to search them, I get too gung ho and search for varieties on coppercoins.com. IF I find aything I lose track of it too fast. IF I search them all, I forget to turn them in for cash.

New from my work yesterday....

TWO war nickels, a '44-P and a '45-P! I searched through multiple tills to find them, but only the equivalent of 4-5 rolls. Considering these seem to be only 1 in 2,000-2,500 coins, I would say that is a darn lucky day!

Great going! Keep looking.

New box:

Dateless buffalo

1941 x 4

1941-D

1941-S

1942-P silver

1944-P silver

1946 x 2

1948 x 2

1952-S

1956-D

1957-D

1958-D x 2

1959-D x 2

1964 BU

1965 BU

1967 BU

That makes 26 silvers and 14 buffalos!

Also, on an unrelated note, I discovered that one of the dateless buffalos in my collection is indeed an S-mint! I stared at it for a good few minutes, but I just can't make out a date. I have read that using a very small amount of vinegar is a viable solution for discovering the date on a coin with relatively little numismatic value in its dateless form. What do you guys think?

I hereby rescind everything I said about customer-wrapped rolls in the past.

My usual bank was out of nickels that I haven't already searched through, so I visited a branch a few minutes further down the road. They did not have sealed boxes, but were willing to give me $100 of whatever they had lying around. What I got was a smattering of at least 7 distinct types of wrappers, including two machine-wrapped Dunbar rolls. The first several rolls were a disappointment, and I figured I had hit my only find of the batch when I found a '44-P war nickel. I was wrong.

I received four ENTIRE rolls of what had obviously been someone's collection: a smattering of almost every date and mint mark from 1938-1959, with the vast majority being 40's and early 50s. I didn't keep the collection rolls separate, but here is the total count:

1938 x 2

1939 x 6

1940 x 6

1940-D x 4

1940-S x 3

1941 x 15

1941-D x 2

1941-S x 4

1942 x 2

1943-S silver

1944-P silver

1946 x 9

1946-D x 2

1946-S x 3

1947 x 2

1947-S x 2

1948 x 4

1948-D

1948-S x 2

1949 x 2

1949-D x 6

1951 x 7

1951-D x 4

1952 x 7 (one is XF)

1952-D x 6

1952-S x 2

1953-D x 5

1953-S (Hole filler!)

1954 x 3

1954-D x 4

1954-S x 3

1955 (Rare!)

1955-D x 3

1956 x 5

1956-D x 3

1957 x 2

1957-D x 3

1958-D x 5

1959-D x 4

1960 AU x 2

1960-D AU

1962 BU

1963 BU x 7 (all are gold-toned)

1963-D BU

The rest of the rolls contained a surprising number of BU later-date nickels. Both war nickels were found outside of the dumped collection.

Miscellaneous:

1968 Canadian

1985 Canadian

2005 Bahamas

1975-D nickel with hole drilled in it... it used to be part of a necklace or something (part of dumped collection)

1978-D penny (A bonus! That roll contained $2.01!)

So, despite the complete lack of buffalos this time around, I would say this has been the best hunt to date! Interestingly, the dumped collection had several stray coins that appeared to be pocket change. I have a hunch that those rolls had already been searched by someone who kept only the key dates and silvers, unless the original owner just had a few extra nickels to throw in for the fun of it.

• 2 months later...

I haven't counted the Buffs and the Libs, but I recently passed the 80 coin mark for silver war nickels. I have literally thousands of 1940s, 1950's and S minted coins. Oldest find since March has been an '03 Liberty, best find value wise is the 39-D. BTW have many dozens of foreign coins, ie British 20p coins, Bahamian, Bermudan etc. Lots of cool Canadians too, back to 1930 so far. Lately I am taking a break from most of my banking institutional sources because I have sort of depleted their stocks for awhile. I have source that has a bus company depositor that I am still searching coins from.

• 3 weeks later...

A bumper week for me, so far 12 War babies, and three buffers. One of the buffers was from a hand wrapped roll. So far they are 1929, 1934, and 1936. Also found a couple of off centered nickels, and two 1939-S which is a semi-key date. I have gone through $700 worth so far, and will probably get another $50 tomorrow. I sincerely appreciate these tellers ordering up all these boxes and bags for me, I loath hearing people complain about bank tellers because I seem to find a lot of great people.

Yesterday I went through $440 in nickels, from five different source banks/financial institutions. I was sort of bummed that I only found one silver war nickel. And only one more Buffalo nickel, this a 1936 that was on the end of the roll - I noticed it just before I opened the roll.

1936bufferintheroll.jpg

And the usual shtuff of 1940s and 1950s including a few of those infernal S mints that I hoard.

Oh, I almost forgot in all the ho-hum of yesterdays and todays searches that I found this in a roll from the Credit Union last night:

1894liberty.jpg

Yup, another Liberty nickel - my earliest nickel found so far, and a not so common date. Just wish it didn't have the gouge on the date. 117 years of circulation apparently with some long breaks before retirement to my nickel orphanage.

• 1 month later...

I search $500-$800 a week lately. Been doing good on silvers, but Buffalos were getting scarcer than hen's teeth until I found a dateless this morning. But the best find of all was the FR-2 1890 Liberty. Just the outline of the Liberty and the date on the coin but a cool 122 year old find. Also found a Swiss 20 Rappen from 2008 in one of the rolls.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on here.

I was recently hired at a new job, and consequently haven't had much time for roll hunting, although I finally got around to cleaning off the piles of coins left over from my last box hunt. It was like doing a new hunt, only 100% of the coins were keepers! Here's what was gathering dust:

1938-D (VF)

1940-S

1946-S

1948-S

1954-S x 2

1943-P silver

2009-P

I am a little short on time at the moment, since my fiance and I are preparing for our wedding in just 2 short months, but after we get settled in, I am going to resume hunting until I find those last 4 holes in my collection, and then I am probably going to retire from coin hunting. It's been very fun, and I just wanted to extend a thank you to all of you for your support and for posting all those goodies to keep me motivated during the dry spells ;)

So I want to give this a shot. Question though.... I bank at a credit union, I am wondering what the best practice is:

1. Purchase a box of nickels/dimes at a branch, after searching deposit at same branch

2. Purhcase a box of nickels/dimes at a branch, after searching return to different branch

3. Purhcase a box of nickels/dimes at a branch, after searching return to a seperate bank/credit union

#3 is your best option. I always attempt to do #4 which is purchase a box or bag from the bank and attempt to spend those that I don't need. I admit it's more difficult with nickels than with halfs or dollars. Good hunting.

• 5 months later...

Figured I'd revive this thread with a little bit of an update. I recently got the chance to go through my wife's grandfather's stash of coins, among which was included an entire coffee tin of nickels. Something on the order of $100+ dollars face value. I was told that they were all buffalo nickels, but after opening it up, I found that they were indeed only jefferson nickels. But I went through every last one of them anyway.

Sadly, he seemed to be operating under the assumption that everything 1970 and earlier was silver; approximately 3/4 of the bucket was of the 1960-64 flavor. There were a healthy smattering of nickels from the 40's and 50's, and a very few S-mint coins. However, there were only five that were of any real interest:

1939-S

1942-P

1944-P

1949-S

1953-S

Considering that these were out of approximately $100 worth of sorted nickels, this is abysmally poor. My best guess is that he either bought these at a garage sale, or already sold the valuable ones, and those five were somehow missed.

Nevertheless, it was fun to go through a tin that (based on an occasional BU nickel from the early 70's) hasn't seen the light of day in at least 30 years.

And, I am accumulating nickels to go through at some point when I have the time. I had no idea married life would be so busy! :D