CoinPeople.com

5 kopeeks 1831 EM

alexbq2

First of all, I'd like to say that I am patiently awaiting Steve's review of the copper coinage of Nicholas I.

But in the mean time I decided to ask the opinion of the forum members with regards to the scarcity or even rarity of the above mentioned variant.

I don't believe many authors single it out. Only Petrov gives it a 2 rouble estimate. I'm afraid I haven't seen too many of them, so in my opinion it is somewhat scarce. What is your impression?

Here's mine:

980388.jpg

First of all, I'd like to say that I am patiently awaiting Steve's review of the copper coinage of Nicholas I.

Thanks. JRNS is probably in the mail as we speak! Longest and most difficult study I've yet done.

To answer your question though, in the study there were

1831EM ФХ

1831EM <none>

Combined, the 1831EM is the second most common 5 Kopeck of the 1830-1839 series. You can probably guess the most common.

:art:

Steve

I had never seen the one I liked enough to buy. Certainly a lot more rare than em/fx. On the other hand, there is so many em/fx, that it is hard to speak of absolute rarity, just comparative rarity.

What is the most common one? 1834 or 1835?

I would guess 1833 as the most common. How often does 1837 EM-FX show up?

Absolutely right. The 1833EM 5 Kopecks was actually the most common coin in the entire Nicholas I copper study.

1837 EM-FX 5 Kopecks is not that difficult. I saw FX-41 KT-68 NA-54. I actually saw less 1838EM (36) and 1839EM (33).

Thanks. JRNS is probably in the mail as we speak! Longest and most difficult study I've yet done.

Steve

Actually the material will go to the printer Tuesday or Wednesday and be mailed about 10 to 12 days after that.

The article by Steve is outstanding and a must for anyone interested in the copper coinage of Nicholas I.

RWJ

It is interesting because I thought that 1837 EM FH is the second in rarity after 1830 :confus:

next (in some books) is 1838 CM and 1839 CM.

Than we have: 1831 EM, 1835 CM, 1836 CM and 1837 CM ...

I still have problem with most of the CM's although I have 1837 EM FH, 1837 EM KT and 1837 EM NA ...

It is interesting because I thought that 1837 EM FH is the second in rarity after 1830 :confus:

next (in some books) is 1838 CM and 1839 CM.

Than we have: 1831 EM, 1835 CM, 1836 CM and 1837 CM ...

I still have problem with most of the CM's although I have 1837 EM FH, 1837 EM KT and 1837 EM NA ...

I have to say that I have not payed much attention to the CM's I have a few. I think 1831, 1832 and 1834. They are badly struck, and I try to get those that are not too ugly.

I have been hunting for 1831 EM and 1837 EM-FX for some time though. I have a duplicate of 1831 EM, but that 1837 EM-FX is the only one I was able to get my hands on.

By 'real' do you mean patterns or actual coins meant for circulation?

Patterns. They are listed in every modern catalog including Brekke. Some ended up in circulation, though. I have an 1830 EM/FX 5 kop with obvious signs of circulation.

Patterns. They are listed in every modern catalog including Brekke. Some ended up in circulation, though. I have an 1830 EM/FX 5 kop with obvious signs of circulation.

They are, but I'm not sure how one distinguishes between a novodel and a pattern? Presumably a novodel should not enter circulation though.

They are, but I'm not sure how one distinguishes between a novodel and a pattern?

If there is a will -- there is a way. :grin: Much easier with SPB, than EM. With EM you would look at the shape of FX and the color. Also, the type of strike and the edge.

Archived