CoinPeople.com

Sweden 200 kronor commem

Sir Sisu

I was going to put this in the "mail" thread in the coin forum, but technically I did not receive this in the mail. :ninja: I ordered it but it was shipped to friends in Sweden. It was hand delivered to me this week.

It commemorates the 100th year since the Union between Sweden and Norway was dissolved. It is extremely "plain" but the simplicity of the design really appealed to me. Despite the simplicity, the symbolism of the commemoration is very obvious in the minimal design elements. I actually find it soothing to look at.

901340.jpg

It commemorates the 100th year since the Union between Sweden and Norway was dissolved. It is extremely "plain" but the simplicity of the design really appealed to me. Despite the simplicity, the symbolism of the commemoration is very obvious in the minimal design elements.

Looks interesting indeed - but I don't quite understand how the two "halves" were created. Even went to Riksbank's web site and had a look at the images.

http://www.riksbank.com/templates/Page.aspx?id=10894

But both the low-res and the hi-res version just show various shades of (silverish/golden) gray :ninja: and the Swedish language version has the very same images ... Are the brighter parts elevated maybe?

Christian

Looks interesting indeed - but I don't quite understand how the two "halves" were created. Even went to Riksbank's web site and had a look at the images.

http://www.riksbank.com/templates/Page.aspx?id=10894

But both the low-res and the hi-res version just show various shades of (silverish/golden) gray :ninja: and the Swedish language version has the very same images ... Are the brighter parts elevated maybe?

Christian

There is a slight elevation difference between the two halves; minimal at center and increasing towards the edge. Think of the circle as a flat plane made up of two halves. Then imagine an axis perpendicular to the verical line at the center of the coin. It is at this point that the left half is tilted forward/down and the right half is tilted back/up.

I hope that helps. ;)

It is an interesting thing that is being commemorated on this coin, the indepedence of one country from the country commemorating it.

Norway is commemorating it with their own coins:

http://www.norges-bank.no/english/notes_an...morative_coins/

I hope that helps. :ninja:

Sorry, not at all. I think you should follow the advice of Trantor_3 so that we can all inspect the coin ... ;)

Errm, well, yes, your explanation was indeed helpful. Seems to be an intriguing design. And it symbolizes the occasion very well - two halves that on one hand are "split" but in other regards still are close together.

Christian

Archived