CoinPeople.com

Rhodesia SCWPM example note up for sale

William Travis Focker

This note is kind of neat. It's the one used as the example in the SCWPM. Would be a great add to my QEII collection but alas I can only drool over it given the outrageous asking price. Just thought I'd post it for anyone with deeper pockets than this unemployed college student.

I need a 5 pounds of the SOUTHERN RHODESIA IN UNC, AND IF YOU HAVE ONE, LOVE TO BUY IT FROM YOU.

http://www.banknotebank.com/viewnote/917257

The paradox with this note is that the SCWPM price for the 1964 dated note is out of line, rather behind the times considerably. That said, the asking price is over 3 X the catalogue price and is out of line also - in reality the note is suitably priced in the $1K range IMHO.

I buy and sell quite a few better world notes myself, and find myself buying materiel at often more than double listed catalogue prices because that is the range they are actually trading at. In other cases prices in the catalogue are way too high for the listed notes - because notes that were previously scarce have quantities released into the market and the result is depressed prices.

Rhodesia is a fairly popular area of collecting with Africa, but only a finite number of notes available from before 1970.

I guess the hefty markup is purely the "bling" factor of the note being the one pictured in the catalog.

One in AU went for $267

and another in F or so went for $164

Both those sellers I follow often and their auctions usually wind up overpriced, from what I've seen. I might've gone after those two.

Now the down and dirty, the one in fine is from a seller in Croatia that is a known "note doctor" - buys low grade notes and cleans them and presses them to sell them for more money. BTW I would be very cautious about buying from sellers in Singapore, there are good sellers there - and quite a significant minority there that sell doctored notes. When you get into better paper money, there are lots more possibilities for over-graded, oversexed(cleaned and doctored) and over-there(Croatia, Singapore and Israel) notes.

Yikes, thanks for the tip. That's kind of a shame. I did buy some stuff from Croatia but the guy always mentioned in the listing if stuff was cleaned. Is there a good place to find out who all the note doctors are?

There are two in that part of Europe that send the red flags a fluttering, and then another seller in Germany - name begins with a D and last name with an H. Of course, fleaBay being what it is I cannot be too specific and if you wanna short list of note doctors please PM me.

I can just look at their notes and know there are problems - tell tale signs of stains removed, paper breaks on the reverse of a so called "uncirculated" note etc. The colours are also a little off. It is just something you pick up on when you have been collecting awhile and see the "tricks of the trade".

• 5 weeks later...

Any thoughts on thislisting for a similar note?

Something about HRH's portrait looks off. The note is too bright, and her vignette has that washed look to it. The seller is in Spain and the note is on fleaBay - anything reputably collectable doesn't make an appearance on that online fleaMarket.

Archived