CoinPeople.com

To Slab or not to Slab, when would you do it?

MMMM

Seeing William Travis Focker‘s really nice notes from East African Currency Board made me think of Grading of banknotes. I remembered Hiho’s survey “Paper Money TPG's - Opinions Please” where most people preferred their banknotes uncertified. But is there a point that you would want to grade a banknote? Or do you think no matter what the quality and value of a banknote that it should stay in “el naturals” state?

If I had valuable notes where the difference in grading represents a substantial number of dollars, I'd get them certified. The majority of my notes have come directly from circulation and or low dollar purchases/gifts.

You know... If I need the note and I see a nice one for a fair price, I'll buy it slabbed or unslabbed. As for certifying my unslabbed notes? Only if they were higher value, greater rarity, or worth selling solo.

I've never used a TPG myself as I don't have any memberships related to note collecting (sent IBNS membership form a few months ago but never heard back, oh well).

I'm not really sure if I want to have my EACB notes slabbed. I guess they probably have oversized holders. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't like the idea of those notes ever going through the mail again--I paid extra to have them courier shipped by UPS.

I've never used a TPG myself as I don't have any memberships related to note collecting (sent IBNS membership form a few months ago but never heard back, oh well).

I'm not really sure if I want to have my EACB notes slabbed. I guess they probably have oversized holders. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't like the idea of those notes ever going through the mail again--I paid extra to have them courier shipped by UPS.

I too am waiting to hear back from the IBNS. I submitted an application on line. Still not sure it is worth it, but I will give it a try for a year.

Archived