CoinPeople.com

An experiment

Finn235

As someone who first got interested in numismatics because someone spent a Morgan back when I was a cashier, I wholeheartedly support these antics. :bthumbsup:

As someone who first got interested in numismatics because someone spent a Morgan back when I was a cashier, I wholeheartedly support these antics. :bthumbsup:

I can remember when I was a little kid - my grandfather going over to the A&W to get a root beer and starting to pay them in old silver dollars - I quickly bought them from him because they were dated in the 1890's and I still have them. They were some of the first coins I had in my collection.

BTW convenience stores are good places to find friends in, my local 7-11 supplies me with halves, unusual foreign and older banknotes.

I enjoy this topic.When I am at my home in the states my friends always refer to me as "Mister Wierd Money".

In Houston I have two different bank branches that always have two dollar bills, and I normally get about 50$ a week to spread around in commerce.

In fact the check-out-and-pay-yourself machines at the local Supermarket chain Randall's accept two dollar bills (there is no sign stating what it accepts) but it does not accept halves (yes to newdollar coins). The auto parking attendant machine at a clinic nearby also does.

There is a local scrap company that is famous in its commercials for stating "We'll pay you in two dollar bills". They have signs around town and t-shirts. It is their gimmick and seems to work. I have about 60$ in ikes and normally carry at least one if I am tipping someone or paying a small amount.

There is a nice coin dealer in Bellaire, Texas (a town surrounded by Houston) that has a good selection of ikes and IIRC if you buy ten they are 1.25 a piece (and that is actually higher than years past). The Ikes tend to get the biggest reaction but I don't use them as much (about twice a month) as I do pay a premium for them (the face value stuff is really fun to spend daily). The Ikes are also popular back in Europe. My pals love them.

My plan would be to ditch the dollar bill, use coin only and have the two as the smallest denom bill (Like Belize, where I got the idea living there years ago). It won't happen anytime soon though.

Ciao,

AWACS

Payin' over face for Ikes? Yikes! I have a face value only rule on buying Ikes, and that way I have accumulated some 1K+ of them over the past decade. Gees, I even have a bunch of BU rolls. They turn up in my banks when people fall on hard times, the tellers call moi, and I bring goodies to them as a finder's fee.

Payin' over face for Ikes? Yikes! I have a face value only rule on buying Ikes, and that way I have accumulated some 1K+ of them over the past decade. Gees, I even have a bunch of BU rolls. They turn up in my banks when people fall on hard times, the tellers call moi, and I bring goodies to them as a finder's fee.

Well, being as I sell most for 3-4 times face back in Europe it is not a big loss when I paid 10-25 cents over face.

I have noticed their prices climbing higher and higher the last few years though, especially since Vegas dumped them.

What do you do with 1000$ in Ikes-is it the collecting passion? Even in a low risk investment you'd earn more than holding them and hoping they double in price?

Just curious.

Ciao,

AWACS

What do you do with 1000$ in Ikes-is it the collecting passion? Even in a low risk investment you'd earn more than holding them and hoping they double in price?

Just curious.

Ciao,

AWACS

My kid sells almost anything on Earth on ebay. He really got me when he actually sold an old cell phone on ebay that didn't work since he dropped it from the top of a building.

I guess there is always someone out there with to much money.

Archived