CoinPeople.com

How about this one?

xu168

it is a 20th century reproduction of a Julius Caesar Denarius (mobile mint moving with Caesar from 49-48 BC.),

It is Aluminium and depicts on the obverse an Elephant facing right trampling dragon; in exergue, CAESAR, WRL punchmark on the edge.

Rev.: Pontifical emblems: Simpulum, sprinkler, axe (surmounted by a wolf's head), and priest's hat, WRL punchmark on the edge.

"WRL" means Westair Reproductions Ltd. They are based in Birmingham, UK. They sell a "Roman Coin Pack 1" and others containing this "denarius".

Hi Drusus, nice full answer. I dislike these copies & the modern fantasy pattern coins because they can cause so much confusion & to me are a total waste of money. There is also the possibility that some unscrupulous cad will "doctor' them to make them look even more like genuine coins.

Why someone would buy a newly struck fantasy piece(even if they are well struck, nice designs, perhaps from Cavendish Collectables) when for the same money you can buy a genuine coin or medal is beyond my comprehension. Many people must buy them though because they are churning them out in the thousands.

I would like to find a genuine ancient roman aluminum coin!

it is a 20th century reproduction of a Julius Caesar Denarius (mobile mint moving with Caesar from 49-48 BC.),

It is Aluminium and depicts on the obverse an Elephant facing right trampling dragon; in exergue, CAESAR, WRL punchmark on the edge.

Rev.: Pontifical emblems: Simpulum, sprinkler, axe (surmounted by a wolf's head), and priest's hat, WRL punchmark on the edge.

"WRL" means Westair Reproductions Ltd. They are based in Birmingham, UK. They sell a "Roman Coin Pack 1" and others containing this "denarius".

Thank you very much! :ninja:

... depicts on the obverse an Elephant facing right trampling dragon ...

Was there not an article and some letters recently in The Celator on the subject of what exactly the elephant is "trampling"? Dragon, snake, or palm tree? Trampling or approaching? Also, the Python was known from mythology; and from contact with Egypt, they knew about crocodiles; but is not the "dragon" a medieval confabulation of several source images?

Why someone would buy a newly struck fantasy piece(even if they are well struck, nice designs, perhaps from Cavendish Collectables) when for the same money you can buy a genuine coin or medal is beyond my comprehension. Many people must buy them though because they are churning them out in the thousands.

Give Westair a break. The ask a pound and a half for this coin blister packed with a booklet on Caesar for sale in museum gift shops. Their WRL is clear. The problem is when someone decides to try to pass it off as something that sells for 100 times as much even if the flan is broken enough that you could get rid of the WRL. People buy them as souvenirs and there is nowhere you can get one of these for anything approaching the price. It would make an interesting study for sociology students to follow the path these coins take from holiday mementos to greed and deception.

Give Westair a break. The ask a pound and a half for this coin blister packed with a booklet on Caesar for sale in museum gift shops. Their WRL is clear. The problem is when someone decides to try to pass it off as something that sells for 100 times as much even if the flan is broken enough that you could get rid of the WRL.

:ninja:

Well said. I'm often saying this with regards to their English hammered coins.

I tend to agree. I wouldn't even waste a buck on it but for those who want a reproduction coin, I see no problem with it as long as it is clearly marked and this coin is clearly marked on both sides. What people do with them once they buy them is another story. While these are cheap and unimpressive, there are some companies whose works are stunning (IMO) like Antiquanova:

http://www.antiquanova.cz/

Give Westair a break.

I do not remember attacking Westair, so do not feel inclined to give them a break. The quote you used of mine was in regard to fantasy pattern coins. Though I did say I disliked copies because of the confusion they can cause & the potential for fraud.

caesar.jpg

I found it in a shop, could you tell me something about this one, and is it a fake ?

Well here is one buyer of a Westair copy who asked "is it a fake ?" which tends to prove my point.

I tend to agree. I wouldn't even waste a buck on it but for those who want a reproduction coin, I see no problem with it as long as it is clearly marked and this coin is clearly marked on both sides. What people do with them once they buy them is another story. While these are cheap and unimpressive, there are some companies whose works are stunning (IMO) like Antiquanova:

http://www.antiquanova.cz/

So true, they are stunning but therein lies the danger:

From http://rg.ancients.info/replicas/;

"The Czech replica maker Antiquanova also makes excellent ancient coin replicas, marking them unobtrusively on the reverse with an S countermark for Petr Sousek, the engraver"

"Because Antiquanova replicas are easier to obtain than Slaveys, you see more copies of them, often sold as replicas by other replica makers who use them to cast other copies or sold as authentic coins by scammers who tool them to remove the countermark, create cast copies and tool the molds to remove the countermark, or create transfer dies and took the dies to remove the countermark"

• 10 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...