CoinPeople.com

1901 Pan-American Exposition

Not necessarily a specific collecting interest, I have always been intrigued by the design of this exposition medal/so-called dollar. It was designed by George Thomas Brewster and engraved and struck by the U.S. Mint at the exposition.

985064.jpg

The gilt medal (pictured here) sold for a quarter and the silver version sold for a dollar. I got this for a favorable price, so I added it to my collection. President McKinley was assassinated at the exposition, so this piece joins my elongated piece commemorating the event.

922494.jpg

I agree with the above. Fantastic medal though I'm not so sure what the Liberty figure is standing on.

The second is a contemporary rolled coin? Can you tell what coin it was previously?

And I had no idea McKinley was shot at the expo. Fascinating!

The heroic figure is presumably an Indian with a light behind his head (like a radiate crown). His right foot is on the back of an eagle in flight, the left in space.

The rolled aluminum elongate was just a blank planchet as far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an original photograph taken in San Francisco that my great great grandmother took of McKinley when he was there earlier in the summer. Also have the programme for the Southern Pacific railroad for the "President's Special". Yep, lots of early SP memorabilia in my collections.

• 8 months later...

An unlisted so-called dollar for the McKinley assassination. A different variety is listed.

992794.jpg

It is not a superb example, but the price was right.

I added a luck cent to my Buffalo collection:

985648.jpg

I love it. What a great piece. Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

Archived