CoinPeople.com

Damon estate puts old coins up for sale

Tiffibunny

There certainly are a lot of outstanding collections coming to the market. I guess a lot of the collectors have died off and probably many of their direct heirs have as well. So the coins end up in the hands of people who just view them as objects of wealth.

Someone once wrote an article about this, I'm not sure who or where they published it. They took the position that this was good and healthy for the hobby and would be what many of the original collectors would have wanted. The coins became available to a whole new group of collectors. It was an interesting point - one I'm not too fond of although it's probably correct.

A lot of top collectors are now selling their collections at auction during their lifetimes rather than leaving them to heirs. Interesting I think.

"a roll of 1901 quarters minted in San Francisco"

A ROLL of 1901-S Barber Quarters??? :ninja:;);):lol::cry:

I'd like to have just 1.

There certainly are a lot of outstanding collections coming to the market. I guess a lot of the collectors have died off and probably many of their direct heirs have as well. So the coins end up in the hands of people who just view them as objects of wealth.

Someone once wrote an article about this, I'm not sure who or where they published it. They took the position that this was good and healthy for the hobby and would be what many of the original collectors would have wanted. The coins became available to a whole new group of collectors. It was an interesting point - one I'm not too fond of although it's probably correct.

A lot of top collectors are now selling their collections at auction during their lifetimes rather than leaving them to heirs. Interesting I think.

Demographics would suggest that there should be a great many collections

coming on the market over the next 30 years or so as the baby boomer

generation is headed into retirement and needs the money for other

expenses or their heirs will sell the collections.

Archived