CoinPeople.com

A New Friend

A new friend has asked me about this 1762 ruble. "Value, etc?"

It's actually Peter III, and -- if genuine -- it's worth a lot, even in this condition, because the whole series is pretty scarce. Since I don't collect any of these except for some copper coins, I'll let others tell you what they think it is.

Poor old Petr III had the dubious distinction of having been married to Princess Sophie of Anhalt-Zerbst-Dornburg, who despite not even being Russian, would depose him and rule in her own right. With the exception of Petr I, the 18th century was a century of female rule in Russia - something that would insure primogeniture would prevent women from ruling again in Russia by the 19th century.

Ivan is questionable, he is on some lists and not on others. As for the Petr's they only reigned as long as three years in the case of Petr II and Paul only reigned four years in the 18th century. Other than that it was all about Anna, Yelizaveta, and Yekaterina.

I do not see anything that screams fake. I see a lot that screams "real thing".

Condition is not what all guys that pay top dollar call "collectible". I feel that the price could be anywhere between $200-300 ( i bought one like it for $100 a few years back and would not pay more than $200 now) and $600 (I have seen these go for as much in this condition) depending on whether you are able to find someone who really needs it and wants it, but cannot afford to pay for better condition.

Ivan is questionable, he is on some lists and not on others. As for the Petr's they only reigned as long as three years in the case of Petr II and Paul only reigned four years in the 18th century. Other than that it was all about Anna, Yelizaveta, and Yekaterina.

I do not know what lists you are talking about, but there is absolutely no question as to Ivan. The only question is what number should be placed after the name... There were more men, but females generally lived longer.

I do not see anything that screams fake. I see a lot that screams "real thing".

Condition is not what all guys that pay top dollar call "collectible". I feel that the price could be anywhere between $200-300 ( i bought one like it for $100 a few years back and would not pay more than $200 now) and $600 (I have seen these go for as much in this condition) depending on whether you are able to find someone who really needs it and wants it, but cannot afford to pay for better condition.

Many thanks for the approximate current value, BKB! I will pass it on.

Bill

I do not know what lists you are talking about, but there is absolutely no question as to Ivan. The only question is what number should be placed after the name... There were more men, but females generally lived longer.

True, he was Tsar officially, but his mother was Regent and ruled in his name. As an infant, he was hardly in a position to argue with her decisions.

True, he was Tsar officially, but his mother was Regent and ruled in his name. As an infant, he was hardly in a position to argue with her decisions.

The mother hardly made any decisions at all. All was dictated.

What you said about Ivan, could be said about many European, or even Russian rulers other than Ivan. The influence of Menshikov on Peter II, or the influence of Biron on Anna would be very good examples. What we care about is whether he was an "official" Tsar, and the answer "yes" is beyond contestation (or what would be the right word? :ninja: ), not who was the policymaker during the reign. After all, a lot can be said about the policy making powers/abilities of Mr. George Bush and a few other presidents here in the US... But, they are still presidents and cannot be omitted from "some" lists.

The mother hardly made any decisions at all. All was dictated.

What you said about Ivan, could be said about many European, or even Russian rulers other than Ivan. The influence of Menshikov on Peter II, or the influence of Biron on Anna would be very good examples. What we care about is whether he was an "official" Tsar, and the answer "yes" is beyond contestation (or what would be the right word? :ninja: ), not who was the policymaker during the reign. After all, a lot can be said about the policy making powers/abilities of Mr. George Bush and a few other presidents here in the US... But, they are still presidents and cannot be omitted from "some" lists.

Well BKB - indeed, if we were to stretch out the lists of rulers, there would be some first ladies, like Edith Bolling Wilson, Nancy Reagan etc. that pretty much ran things from time to time. During 1919 Edith Bolling Wilson ran the country in her husband's name - what hardly anyone was aware of was that he had suffered a stroke and was bedridden for practically the rest of his life.

Going back to Russia - from the death of Tsar Feodor III in 1682 Sofia, the older sister of Ivan and Petr ran the government - and indeed she is on some lists as a regent - notably Massie's book would suggest that she wanted to be more than a mere regent.

Peter The Great, by Robert Massie. a very good bio on Peter I. Read this years ago, and is a must read for anyone interested in the period.

Perhaps a bit romanticized but a great read nonetheless. Certainly good enough to win Robert Massie the Pulitzer Prize in 1981.

Archived