CoinPeople.com

New acquisition

bobh

From the "Leipziger Münzhandel" auction last week. This is the first type of silver 5 kopecks I ever bought ... although not a particularly scarce type, it seems to be hard to find them in good condition (as with almost everything):

5k. 1757 silver

image01004.jpg

Were these sometimes overstruck on earlier types as with many of the copper series? It looks like that may have been the case here, but I need to read up more on these things... :ninja:

Take a look at the other lots, many of which didn't sell. Prices seem about right to me, for a change. There were not as many Russian coins there as in Künker or G&M auctions, which is probably why there wasn't such strong bidding. But maybe you'll find something you have been looking for?

Very nice Bob! Time for my to upgrade my holed one :ninja:

I think prices are falling down for a lot of the Russian coins which were once "common". These days I think I am having some good bargains.

This can't possibly be overstruck as there were no older coins struck other than the altyn and grivinnik. Probably would help if the pictures are clearer as it's pretty blur.

From the "Leipziger Münzhandel" auction last week. This is the first type of silver 5 kopecks I ever bought ... although not a particularly scarce type, it seems to be hard to find them in good condition (as with almost everything):

5k. 1757 silver

image01004.jpg

Were these sometimes overstruck on earlier types as with many of the copper series? It looks like that may have been the case here, but I need to read up more on these things... ;)

Take a look at the other lots, many of which didn't sell. Prices seem about right to me, for a change. There were not as many Russian coins there as in Künker or G&M auctions, which is probably why there wasn't such strong bidding. But maybe you'll find something you have been looking for?

Nice coin, Bob. I don't think that the coin is struck over something (over what?).

For the type collector the larger diameter of 1755 and part of 1756 would be challenging. :ninja: Sigi

Really nice coin, Bob, and in very nice condition. One does see them once in a while but not quite as nice as this. If I remember correctly Squirrel used one of these as an avatar a while ago, but I don't remember what year. That was a nice coin too. :ninja:

Squirrel's was the first of these I had seen, and for a while I was looking for one as well, but they became a bit pricey for me when in good condition, so I kind of gave up on them.

Yours is lovely, enjoy it. ;)

Congratulations on an attractive example. I think this is one of the more beautiful designs in Russian numismatics.

I think your coin is unlikely to be overstruck. Overstrikes on 18th century silver coins were typically for political reasons (e.g. to obliterate the image of an earlier ruler like Ioann III or Peter III) due to concerns over the successors' ability to retain the throne.

Copper overstrikes were typically due to revaluations of the coinage stemming from budgetary problems.

Archived