CoinPeople.com

San Marino Militia Coin

tabbs

Yesterday I got my €10 coin from San Marino. This year's piece is dedicated to the Uniformed Militia of the Republic. Not a thrilling design, but I like the coat of arms on the obverse ...

http://www.aasfn.sm/2000/zoom00/milizia.un...mata_grande.htm

The actual coin is a proof piece, with the alfiere (the man bearing the standard) and the CoA of the Militia "frosted" on a shiny background. By the way, the certificate is interesting too: At the end it says "San Marino, 3rd June 2005 / 1704 years since the foundation". Makes most other "old" countries look young ;-)

Christian

At the end it says "San Marino, 3rd June 2005 / 1704 years since the foundation". Makes most other "old" countries look young ;-)

Christian

Yes, it's a shame; the world's oldest republic becoming a minor political subdivision of the latest attempt at collectivist continental government. Sad.

Yes, it's a shame; the world's oldest republic  becoming a minor political subdivision of the latest attempt at collectivist continental government.

Seems that some really miss the Cold War. Now, anything about the coin?

Christian

as in, the raised flag and the drum... oh well... maybe if you had too much vodka, you can see the similarity... :ninja:;)

Hehe, right. The drink sure helps ::hicks:: Looking at the other side, I can even discover parallels to certain British gold coins ;-)

Christian

Christian

There are quite a few in the ex USSR and also in the USA that long for these times of Cold War.

Oh and BTW, San Marino is not being marginalised by the EU, it is not even a member, but only in association.

After 1704 years of independence, I do believe there is not a great interest in losing it and becoming marginalised by an outside force.

San Marino is not being marginalised by the EU, it is not even a member, but only in association.

Right, and as for adopting the euro, well, it makes a lot of sense to simply use whatever Italy uses. That's what San Marino has been doing for many years; they had a monetary agreement with the Italian Republic (which meant they could issue lire coins) and now have a monetary agreement with the European Union. Monaco is in a similar situation vis-à-vis France and the EU; Andorra also uses the currency of its neighbors (and would like to issue Andorran euro coins). None of them has any plans to join the EU, though - certainly not the tax havens AD & MC :-)

Of course one might argue whether such "third party" countries should issue euro coins at all. The cash supply would work just fine without them - on the other hand it does not hurt anybody when they have their "own" pieces made. Well, except collectors maybe ... :ninja:

Christian

Christian

I don't miss the cold war at all. Some here really seem to miss the USSR, though.

About the coin, it's another euro yawner. Euro coins really are boring, just as modern US coins are.

Some here really seem to miss the USSR, though.

Just because some here do not find as much joy in eurobashing as others? Oh well, what you think of Europe, of the European Union, or of San Marino, is up to you. As for this Militia coin, I like it better than the €5 Torino Olympics piece (I am not fond of those sports coins anyway). The €10 coin does at least have something to do with the country.

And the €2 coin to come later this year will, in my opinion, be quite attractively designed.

http://www.2-euro.net/Daten/News/sm05_entwurf.jpg

But I suppose that, just as there are people who only collect 20/21c coins (as myself), there are others who focus on older pieces and find any modern stuff boring. De gustibus not est disputandum :-)

Christian

Archived