CoinPeople.com

The help is necessary!

Aleksandr45

I'm not sure if this is a coin, I'm tempted to say it's more of a token or something... here's why:

If I was judging just from the guy's attire on the front, I'd say that the coin is either East Asian or Middle Eastern. BUT, I can make out the letters "SAL", and I'm not sure how many coins of that region have English (or Latin) text on them. Those that did have English didn't have a smiling fat guy on the front holding something in his hand :ninja:

That's just my opinion, anyone who knows more about ancient coins feel free to correct me ;)

On the left side of the first picture there is a partial legend SALVS...

If I remember correctly, that's latin for "health".

Not much else I have to add, but I suspect central or eastern european origin.

It looks to me to be a religeous "Pilgrim" or "Travelers" good luck pendant. Many of these have been found from the medieval period (which is what this looks to be from) It is usual on these pendants to show the image of a Bishop (Fat guy in the middle)

It's a coin from Ragusa (Croatia)

Legend like:

. SALVS .-. TVTA .

Christ, nimbate, standing facing, right hand raised in benediction, globus cruciger in left, surrounded by 19 stars

. S . BLASIVS-RAGVSII

Saint Blaze standing facing, right hand raised in benediction, crozier in left, "year" across fields

Thank you.

But on a pendant it not alike.

Probably a pendant is done from a coin. Am not I right

possibly?

However is of interest already.

All many thanks.

Hi 'Aleksandr45'. From what I've seen, this looks like a silver Grosetto from the REPUBLIC OF RAGUSA (now Dubrovnik, Croatia). The obverse is supposed to be St. Blasius with Roman legend: BLASIVS/RAGVS.. The reverse shows Christ standing with Roman legend: SALVS (on left), the legend on the right is illegible. Here's and image of a Ragusan coin from my collection. The obverse pattern is basically the same, however, the reverse is slightly different, I'm just giving this to you for reference. Yours might be a later issue. I hope this is of some help.

RagusaRepublicARGrosso1372-1383AD.jpg

RAGUSA/DUBROVNIK (REPUBLIC)~AR Grosetto 1372-1383 AD

~Daniel

Hi 'Aleksandr45'. From what I've seen, this looks like a silver Grosetto from the REPUBLIC OF RAGUSA (now Dubrovnik, Croatia). The obverse is supposed to be St. Blasius with Roman legend: BLASIVS/RAGVS.. The reverse shows Christ standing with Roman legend: SALVS (on left), the legend on the right is illegible. Here's and image of a Ragusan coin from my collection. The obverse pattern is basically the same, however, the reverse is slightly different, I'm just giving this to you for reference. Yours might be a later issue. I hope this is of some help.

You can find heare some information about the Ragusa coins.

http://www.roth37.it/COINS/Ragusa/monetazione.html

The coin post but DJB is an older coin issued betwen XIII-XVI centuries and your coin was issued betwen XVII-XVIII centuries.

You can find heare some information about the Ragusa coins.

http://www.roth37.it/COINS/Ragusa/monetazione.html

The coin post but DJB is an older coin issued betwen XIII-XVI centuries and your coin was issued betwen XVII-XVIII centuries.

Cool link 'cristoph' Thanks. I just used the specimen as a reference since it had the same basic pattern (although not exact). These coins seem to be difficult to find in high grade as they usually have very weak striking, show heavy wear or have been pierced.

Archived