CoinPeople.com

Wax Notgeld

boydle

I remember reading something about these in one of the notgeld books or alternative money books a number of years ago. Since there are so few references for this you probably have the book in your collection. If I can remember where I read it I'll post it for you.

I only have german notgeld books in my collection so far and this is Austrian. I am after a good illistrated Austrian notgeld catalog but it does not seem that one exists if anyone has information I would appreciate it. I am currently waiting on some information to come back about the catalog from the owner of http://www.austriannotgeld.com/ about the catalog for sale on the site.

I looked in my files on notgeld stuff -- which were difficult to find. They were actually in my pile to be shredded. Nothing there. Sorry.

• 3 months later...

This is a complete set of well known notgeld from the Austrian village of Neukematen, now part of Piberbach.

The "coins" are not made of wax, but of wood. In German the term is "Preßspan", which my dictionary translates as "pressboard". Anyhow many small particles of wood were pressed together with some glue.

These items are not very common, they are much rarer than the usual notgeld stuff of Austria, but on the other side you can find them from time to time in auctions.

There was an ebay auction for such items on Feb. 28, 2010, which ended with 33 Euros.

The set was offered in a recent auction by Frühwald (in Austria), the starting price was 15 Euros, but I don't now the end price.

There was another set in a German auction (Tempelhof), starting price was -as far as I remember- 10 Euros, but the end price I do not know.

The text reads "NEUKEMATEN" AND "OPFERSCHERFLEIN" plus denomination. "Opferscherflein means "small contribution you sacrifice".

Erwin

(Sorry, my English is far from perfect...)

Archived