CoinPeople.com

India Coins when under Great Britain Rule

Art Salmons

I was wondering if other collectors see the India Coins minted during England’s rule as a sub set of Great Britain coins or just as coins of India just when they were under British rule. I building a type set of Great Britain coins from around 1800 to 1970 when Great Britain went to the decimal system for their coins. I've started toying with the idea of buying coins from India during the same period and treating it as a sub set in my collection. I also realize that this would open the door for several other sub sets of other countries that were still under British rule during that same time period.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought these coins were minted in Britain for India. If so, they could be classed as British coins but not for circulation in Britain. This was the case with Australian coins until they opened their own mint. ??

I always thought these coins were minted in Britain for India. If so, they could be classed as British coins but not for circulation in Britain. This was the case with Australian coins until they opened their own mint. ??

There were mints in Bombay (B mintmark used on some pieces) and Calcutta (C mintmark used on some pieces).

Some East India coins were made in the UK (Soho and Heaton (Birmingham)) but from 1861 I believe all the Indian issues were made in India.

I wonder - are Belgian 2 Francs 1944 (made in the US on cent planchets) classed as US coins?

Some East India coins were made in the UK (Soho and Heaton (Birmingham)) but from 1861 I believe all the Indian issues were made in India.

I wonder - are Belgian 2 Francs 1944 (made in the US on cent planchets) classed as US coins?

No, and I doubt many U.S. collectors care since most US coin collectors are very US-centric.

The Dominian Republic also had 5 cent pieces that appears to be made from leftover metal / blanks for US wartime silver 5 cent coins.

Also keep in mind that there are countries that share identical blanks - think of Britain and colonial £SD coins, US/Panama, Netherlands and colonies, etc.

If you could learn all these details on coins, and keep them in your head, you would be a true expert on world coins. Alas, our biological hard drives don't have the capacity. Thank heaven for sites like this. Thank you all you guys on here. Keep teaching ! I'll keep listening !

I've decided that I will have one large binder with the coins from Great Britain, India, and other British colonies in it. I only need a few more 4 pence for my Great Britain Type set to be complete, 11 coins for my India set to be complete and then I will move on to Malaysia, and the Straits Settlements. It's been a fun set to buy and will be great when it's complete. :ninja:

Archived