CoinPeople.com

New guy needs help

Fropa

I currently have absolutely no experience with ancient coins. I do have an interest and would like to add some to my collection but need to educate myself first. What books or web sites would you recommend to start learning about ancient Greek, Roman, and other coins? Is there anything like the Red Book for ancient coins so I can start learning values and other information?

Any help or suggestion for a complete novice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I currently have absolutely no experience with ancient coins. I do have an interest and would like to add some to my collection but need to educate myself first. What books or web sites would you recommend to start learning about ancient Greek, Roman, and other coins? Is there anything like the Red Book for ancient coins so I can start learning values and other information?

There is no Red Book for ancients. Wildwinds is a pretty close as being a generalized an anonymous database of past auctions. You might also want to check out www.coinarchives.com, which is another database of past sales, but from a restricted set of highly-recognized dealers.

Citing Aaron Feldman, we say, "Buy the book before you buy the coin." With ancients, start at your local library. Your library either has books or can get them for you on InterLibrary Loan. These are among the reputable and popular authors:

David Sear

Kenneth Jenkins

David Hendin

R.A. G. Carson

Michael Grant

But there are many and you risk much less reading a second rate book than you do buying a second rate coin.

The best series of books for beginners is the Ancient Coin Collecting set by Wayne Sayles.

Look for the books by WAYNE SAYLES described here:

http://ancientcoins.ac/

Wayne Sayles's books are published by Krause. You can find them on the Krause site and on Collect.com from Krause.

Sayles founded The Celator, the leading magazine for ancients. If you have any interest in ancients, you need to know about The Celator.

www.celator.com (is the same as ancientcoins.com above) and also this review of mine from Coin Newbies:

http://www.coin-newbies.com/articles/celator.html

Your local national chain bookstore (Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.) might have the Whitman book according the website www.classicalcoins.com:

"Handbook of Ancient Greek and Roman Coins by Zander H. Klawans and Kenneth E. Bressett

$13.95

Format: Paperback, 287pp.

ISBN: 030709362X

Publisher: Western Publishing Company, Incorporated

Pub. Date: March 1995

A consolidation of two very popular books by Klawans, originally published as Reading and Dating Roman Imperial Coins and An Outline of Ancient Greek Coins. An excellent introduction for beginning collectors, with many nuggets of information for the experienced numismatist. "

(Ken Bressett is the editor of the Red Book and former president of the ANA.)

If you want to browse some competing dealer sites try www.vcoins.com, which is a validated ring of trusted dealers.

Before you buy anything, ask here first.

Archived