CoinPeople.com

SS Republic

Mark Stilson

The 1838 $10 gold piece looks a little odd, I don't recall the hair around the ear sitting in that fashion. I will have to look through my reference books to be sure.

Although I despise the amount they are charging for the coins, I am very interested in this wreck. I can only imagine owning one of the larger conglomerations of coins found during the recovery.

Terrific article. David Bowers is amazing. I can not understand how he can manage to write so much and have it come out so readable and enjoyable. It's an interesting story and the photos are great. I've read a book about this ship an the recovery. Very interesting. I have a DVD around here somewhere with the story of the Republic on it.

If I could afford it, I would not hesitate to purchase one of the recovered coins from this wreck. Fascinating history.

I really wanted to comment on this article when you started this thread but I was busy. I also wanted to share my favorite images from it but I can't easily do that. Awesome share, thank you very much. Fascinating images (I didn't read much).

Archived