CoinPeople.com

Vacation contest

Okay, first post to guess where this is gets a couple sapphires and an emerald in matrix. Now these aren't much. They are raw I don't know if the sapphires would even star or not if cabbed. The emerald may not even cab well. It has a lot of fractures in it.

rocks.jpg

For those who can't tell the emerald in matrix is on the left. Honestly unless you do them your self it may not be worth getting worked on. Some of the sapphires I have done turned out nice others not so nice.

(BTW, I'll toss up some pictures in the community forum of my total later this week. Some is still in the mail. It was cheaper sending flat rate priority mail then paying the extra luggage weight costs. )

So here's the deal. This place is coin related and you need to guess the location name. Just the state or city won't work.

IMG_1217.jpg

That was fast.

IMG_1215.jpg

All that's left now is a hole in the ground with a a fence around it. And of course a lots of kudzu.

IMG_1216.jpg

I talked to some locals they want to see it developed in to a park or at least cleared and something more put up. But they have been trying for awhile and no luck.

PM me with your address.

Yeah, I know you wanted to go to Dahlonega, but the wilderness shot threw me off. I figured it had to be an old mine or some site like that. I googled "Franklin, NC mine coins" and one of the first results mentioned the Bechtler mint in Rutherfordton. I saw that image and the kudzu (I swear NC is nothing but kudzu) and thought it'd be a good guess. I googled Rutherfordton and saw it was a long way from Franklin, so I started doubting myself but it was the best answer I could find!

Address PMed. Thanks for the contest! I'm a big fan of Southern history, the mints of Charlotte and Dahlonega, and geology!

Now one of the prizes is a C mint coin, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
The prizes have arrived! Did you find all of these yourself? Wow! How about that Cherokee shard?

Many thanks as always, Mark.

george

Yep, well or my wife since they all went in the same zip locks then the same box home. I've got one ruby that I may get faceted. May be considered sapphire, I don't know if it has enough red to go ruby. But its close. Picked it up at Cherokee mine. (All natural local stones, not "enhanced" buckets.) Gut feeling and from the size of the last ones we had done a half carat out of it. But that will be up to what the jeweler can do with it. Could very easily only turn up a 1/4 carat if too many flaws turn up. The rest of the sapphires and rubies were all cabochon/star grade. I've just started slicing some to see if I can get some decent star sapphire or rubies out of the others.

I was hoping to find more shards this time ended up with 4 total. Pretty much the same amount we found last year. Two of the others were about the same size as the one I sent you. I did find one about 2 inches long by 1 inch. With some curved lines in it. That was about twice the size of the largest one I found last year. So that was my high light.

We have had something going on every weekend since I've been back so I have not had much time to cut except a few to check color. And even back out of town this weekend. So this is going slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived