CoinPeople.com

Toned Coins ? Should I Buy or not ...

coindude

Totally up to you, the collector. Personally, I like toned coins as long as the toning looks nice and isn't really unnatural looking. If you are looking on places like ebay, most of the "rainbow" and "monster" toned coins have been artificially done on purpose, and the end result looks ugly to the trained eye.

This article should provide a start on gaining insight on the issue:

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-RAINBOW-TONED...000000004261378

Totally up to you, the collector. Personally, I like toned coins as long as the toning looks nice and isn't really unnatural looking. If you are looking on places like ebay, most of the "rainbow" and "monster" toned coins have been artificially done on purpose, and the end result looks ugly to the trained eye.

This article should provide a start on gaining insight on the issue:

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-RAINBOW-TONED...000000004261378

I totally agree. For me the unnatural toning is unattractive.

That is up to the individual. I have found that the toned coins are much more beautiful than the regular white ones. If you will go on ebay you will find many bargains and many beautiful toned coins. I usually start with regular white ones and then try to update to the toned coins. You got to be careful, however, because there are a not of artifically toned coins out there. Good luck on your search.

• 7 months later...

People are divided on the subject of toned coins as some love them and some don't care for them. I like many others like naturally toned coins but don't like the artificially toned coins. The difference to me is huge and I will pay a premium for a pretty naturally toned coin. Some toned coins are really ugly so the eye appeal isn't there and I don't generally buy them. I said generally because Franklin half dollars seem to get a dark brownish gray toning and I have bought some of them certified in high grades at a good discount caused by the lack of eye appeal. When you build registry sets the coin gets no value added or subtracted for toning so a MS66 is worth so many points whether it has eye appeal or not.

Archived