CoinPeople.com

Completely useless tools?

gxseries

I don't know how foolish or stupid I have been, but I bought a digital caliper and a gram scale on auction sites. Some of my Russian coins that I have have pretty bad deviation, so bad that it is visable to the naked eye!

But yes, I don't know what good this can come out to... recording such useless details... well originally I thought of creating such sort of database to record all sorts of deviations, but that will only help if I had more than 100 coins to work with... not just a mere 10+ in my collection... so yes... just my rumbling today I guess... :ninja:

I have one big Sartorius 2354 balance of 0.01 to 1 kg. I never use it over 100 grams... It is big, old (1980's), and very decorative... but sometimes I wish I had one pocket digital scale, especially when I am at coin shows...

QX, I do not think this is useless. Whether you need 100 or 10 or 10 million measurements is an independent question. Taking no measurements does you (and the rest of the world) no good whatsoever.

I know that axial measurments are important for identifying ancients. So, if you ever get into them, you are prepared.

If the deviations from a modern industrial mint are visible to the naked eye, would that not be a subject to write about for World Coin News?

I don't know how foolish or stupid I have been, but I bought a digital caliper and a gram scale on auction sites. Some of my Russian coins that I have have pretty bad deviation, so bad that it is visable to the naked eye!

But yes, I don't know what good this can come out to... recording such useless details... well originally I thought of creating such sort of database to record all sorts of deviations, but that will only help if I had more than 100 coins to work with... not just a mere 10+ in my collection... so yes... just my rumbling today I guess... :ninja:

If you have no idea what a coin should weigh and you have 30 real coins you can make a valid weight distribution

Often however you can find the weihgth in function of how badly used the coin is

I bought a 50 grams 0.01 grams accurate with calibration weight of 50 grams for

18 euro plus 10 euro postage and I like it

( It is made in China of course )

I have one big Sartorius 2354 balance of 0.01 to 1 kg. I never use it over 100 grams... It is big, old (1980's), and very decorative... but sometimes I wish I had one pocket digital scale, especially when I am at coin shows...

I needed to borrow that triple beam of yours yesterday at the bazaar. I bought a huge sterling chalice, early 20th century, made in Holland and it maxed out every scale any that my fellow vendors had. All the digitals we use for buying gold and silver max out at 500g. I finally found a vendor with a food scale and the chalice weighed in at 980g. It's the largest piece of silverware I've ever bought.

I think that there are coins weighing a kilo or more, but I've never bought any of them.

Hey, at least you have one. ;)

Archived